• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

water bottles....

Hello there...

Does anyone know how to keep my rabbits water bottle from frezzing over night? I don't want him to be without waater if it frezzes over

There are alsorts of ways but the easiest is to buy a snugglesafe you can get them on the net but im not sure where XX

If you get a bottle snug from scratch and newton (do a search should find the website, I'm at work so can't go check :wink: ) they prevent it from freezing. If you order navy blue instead of green they are also on sale at about £7 each!!

I have been using bubblewrap but theres still a little bit of ice forming in the boottle - but the buns can still drink :D

Also whichever technique you use, make sure that the nib isn't frozen. I am always concious that the bubblewrap/sock technique etc can keep the water in the bottle liquid, but if ice crystals form around the ball at the bottom of the spout, the water still may not come out. Apparently the bottle snugs are meant to prevent this as well - my sale ones haven't arrived yet so I can't comment!

The other thing you can do is provide a bowl of water instead of or as well as a bottle, as it will freeze more slowly because it's inside the hutch/shed etc with the bunny heat, and bunny can still lick the top more easily than they can from a bottle. I don't do this with H&H though, as I've yet to find a bowl sturdy/heavy enough to stop them from picking it up and flipping it around :roll:

We have just brought these frost free bottles. So far so good, and we have hit -3 some nights!!!

Gracie and animals x

Hiya

I have covered over my bunnies hutches with a big thick towel + plastic sheets at night & the bottles havent frozen during the night. They have their snugglesafe heat pads too-i think i might sleep in there tonight, they are probably warmer than me!!! :lol: :lol: My boyfriend said to me tonight that he wished he was a pet rabbit & i said why ,he said cos they get a hot water bottle & tucked up in bed every night!!! :lol: :lol:

AlisonA said:
Also whichever technique you use, make sure that the nib isn't frozen. I am always concious that the bubblewrap/sock technique etc can keep the water in the bottle liquid, but if ice crystals form around the ball at the bottom of the spout, the water still may not come out. Apparently the bottle snugs are meant to prevent this as well - my sale ones haven't arrived yet so I can't comment!

The other thing you can do is provide a bowl of water instead of or as well as a bottle, as it will freeze more slowly because it's inside the hutch/shed etc with the bunny heat, and bunny can still lick the top more easily than they can from a bottle. I don't do this with H&H though, as I've yet to find a bowl sturdy/heavy enough to stop them from picking it up and flipping it around :roll:

I thought about that the other day and went out very late to check and there was still water coming out - ive put water in a bowl too just incase - good point to bring up Alison :D

Back