• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back legs gone

cycas

Young Bun
On Thursday I found one of my bunnies, Elise, was dragging her back legs.

She has been in for an X-ray which was inconclusive - her pelvis is definitely fine, but her back looks 'a bit wrong' but they aren't 100% sure she has broken it.

She has been on antibiotics (Baytril) since Thursday and also daily wormers in case it is E. cuniculi. She has also been kept still in a small cage (apart from when I give her the meds: I realise that movement might make her back worse, but I have to take her out and hold her for that or she won't let me give them.)

She is getting worse. She is less able to move about than she was last week. This morning she seems very depressed, and only ate one apple slice, and much less enthusiastically than normal.

Elise is at least 7 years old. She is normally a very active rabbit for whom social interaction is really important. She likes to grab her treats and run away, she likes to dig, she likes to zoom about. She likes to be in there in the thick of it, but at the moment I can't let her mix with the others at all. I suspect the isolation and inactivity is contributing to her depression.

I have her booked in to see the vet again at 4:30pm this afternoon. Is there anything else we can try? I am beginning to think it's time to let her go.

I am sorry that I do not have any practical advice for you - however I am sending cyber hugs to you and positive vibes for your bunny.

lol Pam

I'm so sorry to hear about Elsie :( You did the right thing in getting her x-rayed as this is the first thing that should be done if a bun suddenly goes off their legs.
Did your vet give her a steriod injection? If so then maybe she will need another one - if not then a steriod injection will help any swelling to subside and also it will increase Elsie's appetite :)
She will be feeling depressed due to the inactivity but you can help her by doing very gentle massage on her legs and also taking her from room to room with you so that she gets interested in her surroundings.
You say her appetite has decreased but this could be due to pain as well as a bit of depression.
I wouldn't give up on her yet - she will tell you when it is time. I think you have done all the right things and that is great for Elsie :D
I would definitely go along the steriod route as this would help her - if you need any more help then let me know by pm'ing me on the jaypot or write to me at jaypot@btinternet.com you can also see about disabled buns on our website on www.ebonyeyes.co.uk
Elsie may need to be kept confined for a little while yet and she may need 24 hour care - hopefullly she can adjust to anything and can be a content and happy bunny once medications work :D
Am sending lots of healing and positive vibes to Elsie and calming and positive ones to you.
Please let us know how she is doing and how she gets on :)

Yes, she had a steroid injection on Thurs.

I don't have room in my study for her rabbit box, so she is sitting in with my husband at the moment. Not sure that the view of 'accountant at work' is particularly stimulating, but the best we can do.

have been told to tell you about this but just had to check what I have read first. It may not be related to your bunnies problem but worth mentioning it to your vets :wink:

paralysis of the hind quarters can indicate a spinal injury but it can also be a potassium deficiency. Usual symtoms are a limp rabbit who are unable to feel or move their hind legs

Baby buns are usually the most affected by this deficiency but lack of potassium can cause muscle weekness and result in hind paralysis so potassium may help your bun if x rays have ruled out spinal injury.

Not sure if your vet could administer some potassium but tomato juice is an excellent source for this that can be syringe fed along side some recovery food to maintain a positive energy balance. The book also says that high doses of corticosteriods may also be given :)

I think it was pendragon who first brought this flopsy syndrone to light as it interested me as I think our bun Mr Bo-Jangles may have died from this :(

will try and find the link to the site about flopsy :wink:

If she has physically damaged her back it may take a couple of weeks of cage rest.

Perhaps your vet could sent the xrays to a rabbit specilist to look at?

Tam

we had a similar thing happen with my house bun nemo .

it took over a week on metacam(anti inflametary and painkiller) before we saw any improvement.
please dont give up just yet and ask your vet about metacam.

Angie

Back