• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

feeding rejected kittens

pugsley

Young Bun
where can you get food for kittens for a just in case problem. I want to be prepared in case my rabbit rejects her babies and need a link to all the equipment I might need.

The vets should sell it - I think it's called Kimicat or something - not that I've ever needed anything like it :? It's something I remember reading :D

You can use any of the formulated substitute milks - Cimicat is one. Many people use goats' milk. You can get Lactol and tiny feeding kits from the big pet shops and I'd hazard a guess it's all much cheaper than going to the vet! Rearing rejected kits is a thankless task though - very few survive to adulthood. Much better to find someone with a foster mum if at all possible. Rabbits will foster kittens very readily and successfully.

Sue

Why do you think she might reject the babies? My rex had 10 babies 8 weeks ago. It was her first litter and I went into a panic. She did really well and they all survived. I got lots of advice from this forum and did keep them indoors so they didnt waste too much energy trying to keep warm. I made sure Mum was well fed, especially greens to help the milk flow but the main thing was not to interfere too much. Even first time Mums seem to know what they are doing.
alice-babies.jpg

Back