• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 more neglected rabbits - happy pics

doorkeeper

Mama Doe
A friend of mine brought me two rabbits today from a friend of hers. One was actually hers, the other she had 'rescued'. The previous people were going to give him to a greyhound trainer :shock: They had fed him mainly on chocolate spread sandwiches :shock: But he wasn't much better off afterwards. He is agonisingly thin and was matted and dirty when he arrived this morning. His front teeth are a mess, his claws were curling around and up, except those that had broken off, and I dread to think what his back teeth will be like :cry: I have groomed him and given him soggy pellets to eat, with apple which he seems to like. He was not impressed by the grated carrot. He will go to the vet tomorrow.

The other rabbit arrived with a huge pancake of poo attached to her bottom, about 10cm across :evil: She hasn't much of a tail left now I have removed it. She doesn't have proper front teeth, just two tiny pegs on top, and one on the bottom with a rotten top. At some point she has seen a vet about them and I am wondering if an attempt at removing them was made :?: She also has a weepy eye, so it doesn't look good for her back teeth. She isn't too thin, but the woman apparently forgot to feed her for a few *weeks* :!: :!: :!: So she must have been very fat to begin with - and indeed her mucky bottom and loose skin point to this. She had a sister with her until the summer. The maggots got her :cry: :cry: :cry: This poor girl is only a year old. She was last years Christmas present for the woman's daughter. The child - only 8 - was supposed to feed her etc :roll:

They are both darling rabbits. The girlie is Rosie and the male is now Rowan. Apparently his name was a nasty rude one before :x Here they are:

Rosie
rosie1.jpg

Rowan
rowan1.jpg

And here are their front teeth :x
Rosie
rosieteeth.jpg

Rowan
rowanteeth.jpg

And here is one section of what was stuck to poor Rosie's bottom :x
pancake.jpg

I knew my good luck in never having had a rabbit with bad teeth couldn't hold :roll: :? :cry:
People make me sick :x :x :x :x

Poor little Rowan looks like he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders. How could anyone? Thank goodness they've arrived with you and will get all the TLC they need. I wish people would realise what a responsibility having any pet is. There is no guarantee that they won't have health problems.

People ought to have to sign contracts when they buy pets and put up a deposit to be used for the inevitable vet's bills.

Rowan is definitely worse off than Rosie. She is darting around the house having a great time - there are advantages to not having front teeth, hoomans don't worry about wires :lol: She is very lively little thing, jumpng onto everything - enjoying not carrying that big lump everywhere she goes I expect; but she panics when you touch her :( Obviously her naturally friendly nature has been overriden by bad handling :(

But Rowan is not at all lively. He seems burdened by what has happened to him :cry: I am very relieved he will eat the soaked pellets, maybe he will perk up with some good food in him. I hope so, he can't be more than a year old either, in fact I suspect they may be from the same litter they are so similiar :? Which doesn't quite fit the story I was told. Why am I not surprised :roll:

Bless him. Give them lots of cuddles from me. They look so lovely and sweet. Fingers crossed Rowan perks up when he realises that his life is much improved!

Oh my heart is breaking for Rowan :cry: :cry: :cry: He looks so sad :cry: What a terrible start in life for him :cry: :cry:
Rosie does look more alert and bright so that is a good thing.
I'm so glad that you have them - they will have a chance of a decent home full of love and laughter.
Give them both a snuggle from me but give Rowan a gentle kiss - he's really pulling at my heart strings :(

Poor little mites. Things can only get better for them from now on. Lets hope they survive long enough to enjoy it after the bad start they've had.

Rabswood

That's awful...I am at a loss for words. Those poor buns, I am glad they have found their way to you know.

Hope all goes well with their recovery! Sending our good healing vibes!

Come on little Rowan, you've got a good home now.

They're almost identical, wouldn't surprise me either if they were brother and sister.

Both are gorgeous :love:

Poor things, how hard is it to give your bunnies some hay everyday? I hope they have a much happier life in store for them now :D

hi

:( poor little Rowan - glad Rosie is well on the mend now - teeth pending :?

Well done for taking them in :thumb:

Oh my god that's terrible!! People like that drive me crazy.
And as for the 8yr old.. someone should have been making sure she carried out her chores in looking after bunny.
What example is that to her that she can get away with neglecting an animal like that?!
Grrr..

Back from the vets. They are both booked in to have dentals on Weds. The vet described Rowan's teeth as 'horrific'. She said she is surprised that he has eaten anything as his cheeks are lacerated :cry: Luckily there is no sign of infection - she was surprised given the state of him, but says that as there isn't they will castrate him at the same time. My job is to get him to eat as much as possible before the op. I have been soaking pellets and mixing them with grated apple and warming them up, then hand feeding him. He is keen to eat, but it obviously hurts :cry: I just saw him try to eat some hay, but he just can't :cry: He has now had some metacam and the vet suggested bonjela to rub on his cheeks.

Rosie's teeth aren't nearly so bad, but they still need to be done. One side is alright, the other is quite bad. She thinks she must just be eating on that one side.

Some good news is that Blueberry seems to really like Rosie. And Lace is ignoring her, so I think she can stay and be a house rabbit 8) She keeps darting into the living room, but as she lacks her front teeth it doesn't matter despite the playstation and computer cables. Lace and Blue never leave the kitchen as they won't walk on the vinyl floor :lol: They stay on their vetbed.

:shock: lucky you got them.
once when i did work experiance at the vets, a netherland dwarf was brought in to have its bum cleaned. the lump of poo was bigger than its head :shock:. when the poor thing sat down it sat on the poo like a chair.

Back