• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunnys who have had teeth removed

ah144

Warren Scout
just wondering how many of you guys have had buns that needed their front teeth removed and if the bun adapted well??

I think there are quite a few people on here who have buns without frint teeth. At work we had a bun who had his front teeth removed and he coped really well. We cut up veggies small for him. I think ppl also chop up the hay. They tend to use their lips to pick the food up and then use the molars to grind it. It's certainly a lot easier on the bun than having regular dental work!

Nicola

my bun bella had her front teeth removed when she was 6 months old due to being inter-bred shes now 2 years old and gets on fine without them i just have to chop her fruit and veg up into smaller pieces for her. She's only had to have her molars filed down once in all that time which is quite good as some buns need them doing every couple of months.

thanxs for that...i'm just indecisive of what to do and whats best for my bunster,options are to have the 4 front out or trips to the vet for filling down.Its the bottem to that are the problem as her jaw is not in alignment.

What does your vet think? Personally I'd prob have them out as in the long run in will be far less stress for your bun and far less hassle (cost + vet visits!) for you.

My little netherland dwarf Fred Junior had his teeth out about 5 months ago. He is now the fatest he has ever been! He is now on a diet. :roll: He eats his Excel pelleted food, hay and cabbage and has no probs at all! I think he is happier now because they used to grow so quick he was always having to go and have them burred down or they would overlap really quick. He looks lke a little bloater now! I would def have it done :D

my vet is sitting on the fence and stating i have to decide!!!!!i thought it would be terrible for her as he said that she would not be able to eat veg etc onlt pellets and hay, she loves her veg virtually bites my hand off when putting it in!!with this in mind i felt my mind was made up with keeping the teeth and taking her to the vet when the need arose.But a few people have said that to have them extracted is not that bad.Also as you say its the stress of the trips to the vets and through trimming they could loosen and an infection may get in and abcess etc.please can you tell me what the after care is? and do you think she could go straight back in with her boyfriend after?

I know it is obviously different for every bun, but Fred J went back in with his pal Old Fred the day after surgery. He ate his pelleted food and hay the same day after surgery as well as cubed vegetables! I may have just been lucky though I guess! :D

i would recomend having them removed. like you i was undecided about having one of my bunnies teeth out and she was back and fore having them trimmed. recently she started dribbling and was found to have a rotten molar so as that had to come out i had to make a quick decision as to whether to have the front ones out too. she ended up having incisors and a couple of molar removed. after care has taken a while but she's finally eating solids again and is much happier. good luck!

Squidgy had his teeth out just after he arrived with me about 3 years ago. He did have them clipped, and I even did it myself, but it's not very nice for them. Afterwards, i had to clean out the sockets with a cotton bud and he was on soft food for a little while. He still eats everything in sight! Pellets are fine, we cut up his veg for him, and I also chop the hay so it's more manageable. He's not had molar problems so far (touch wood :wink: )

We've had lots with front teeth taken out and they have all managed really well :D It has saved the hassle of going backwards and forwards to the vets, the stress on them and the pain as the teeth get too long.
Each and every bun has come back and eaten really well and has recovered as though they had been for their nails clipped :shock:
All of the buns that have had their teeth removed have had softned pellets for a few days but have then gone onto dry pellets again, their veggies are cut up a bit finer and if it's a nice day you do have to pick their grass for them - but other than that it is great. And they make perfect house buns :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only thing is, the teeth can grow back if the vet cannot get all of the tooth out - the root has to come out. Oscar has had his front teeth removed twice but the bottom ones have grown back so we have just left it now as he goes to the vet every two weeks for them to be burred.
I would recommend it for the bun - it's better for them in the end :D

So is this likely to be what has happened with Rosie's teeth? She seems to have her tooth pegs on top, and one partly rotten one on the bottom, which is slightly longer than a normal tooth.

doorkeeper said:
So is this likely to be what has happened with Rosie's teeth? She seems to have her tooth pegs on top, and one partly rotten one on the bottom, which is slightly longer than a normal tooth.

More that likely - I would say let her get fit and well again and if she is going to be spayed then they could take the bottom tooth out whilst she is under. The peg teeth aren't much of a problem I have found if they grow back - they may need a slight trim every year or so but other than that I have never had to worry. If the whole of the bottom tooth is rotten then it would mean that the root is dying or is already dead - which is a good thing as the tooth would come out pretty easily.

I really hope these two buns get fit and healthy and go on to live a long and happy life - poor little mites. I would definitely have beaten the owners up and dumped them somewhere far away :evil:

Thanks Jay :)
I would love to set you on that woman :lol: My friend has two cats that she had to take from her when she wasn't looking after them a few years ago too. The good news is that this time my friend made her promice not to get any more animals. Whether she sticks to it or not I don't know :?
Rosie's tooth is only rotten at the end - about a third of it is rotten I think. Its all jagged and brown :( She is gobbling up grated carrot though 8)

I have let Rowan loose in here and we just got a binky :D He is sniffing the dogs nose right now - ahh :D He isn't afraid of her anyway :D I just hand fed him about half a bowl of soaked pellets and apple, I think he needed that. Oh now he is visiting the piggies. Changed his mind - having a wash now 8)

doorkeeper said:
Thanks Jay :)
I would love to set you on that woman :lol: My friend has two cats that she had to take from her when she wasn't looking after them a few years ago too. The good news is that this time my friend made her promice not to get any more animals. Whether she sticks to it or not I don't know :?
Rosie's tooth is only rotten at the end - about a third of it is rotten I think. Its all jagged and brown :( She is gobbling up grated carrot though 8)

I have let Rowan loose in here and we just got a binky :D He is sniffing the dogs nose right now - ahh :D He isn't afraid of her anyway :D I just hand fed him about half a bowl of soaked pellets and apple, I think he needed that. Oh now he is visiting the piggies. Changed his mind - having a wash now 8)

Awwwww- awwwwwww - awwwwwww - they sound wonderful :D Snuggles to little Rowan - it must be wonderful to see him wondering about investigating and of course, doing a binky must have set your heart alight :D

doorkeeper said:
No I was typing a message on here :roll:

This is why rear view mirrors should be fitted onto computers, computer desks, wardrobes, kitchen units, etc .............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back