• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello - I'm new

kkliskey

New Kit
Hi my name is Karolina, I have just recently adopted two beautiful dwarf lops, Chloe and Millie,although i think chloe is a little confused as she has one lop ear and one sticky up ear :D. They are both 9 weeeks old. I have been looking at old posts on this forum all week and thought i had better join myself. You all seem so helpfull.

I have a couple of questions actually seeing as i'm new to the whole bunny thing. Fistly, Chloe and Millie live in our study. They have a big cage but are let out in the morning and evening when we are around to make sure they don't do anything too naughty. All the furniture in this room is untreated pine so if they do have a secret nibble, will it hurt them in anyway?

Secondly, I went out with the intention of bringing one bunny home, but came back with two. I couldn't resist Millies eyes looking at me while i was holding chloe. So now i have two and they are so much fun to watch as they play, run and groom each other. My only concern now, is that as they have each other, they won't come anywhere near me. They will eat treats from my hand but i can't stroke them or pick them up. This is a real problem because at night they don't always want to go back into their cage. On thursday night, me and my boyfriend were up until one am trying to coax them back in so we could go to bed ourselves. Any ideas? I read a bit about handling rabbits and alot of info contradicts each other. Some advice says to handle as much as possible and other advice says i shouldn't handle them until they are more used to me. I've only had them a week. What do you all think?

Sorry for so many questions :)
Karolina xx

hi and welcome
the more you handle the bunnies the more they will get used to you!
it shouldnt harm them to much if they have a chew ;)

Hello and Welcome :wave:
the best way to tame your bunnies is to hold them for a short while each day so they get used to you picking them up you could even use treats as a bribe

I always used to let mine out before they had their tea so when I wanted them back in the cage I would put food in and they'd go back in.
I still do this now as they live in the garden. They always get food when they go back in their shed and hutch. Everyone laughs when they see me take the food bowl outside and the rabbits shoot back into the shed, they think they are well trained but they are just greedy :lol:

Cheers guys

Hia,

Thanks very much for you advice. I'll give it a go. i just feel like i'm traumatising them each time i pick them up. Although they seem happy enough when they are back on their own feet again. As for treats - they don't seem particularly interested in treats when they are out of the cage - except for hay in the litter box. I guess its all quite new to them.
Thanks again, and i'll post some piccies soon :) :D

Hello :wave:

I use the same technique as Estelle, let them out and go to feed them when it's time to go back in! Mine are now so well trained that as soon as they see me come out the patio doors they run past me and into the shed, barging my legs out the way in the process!

When handling your bunnies, remember that they are prey animals and will more than likely feel unsafe or even think that you're going to eat them when you hold them. Try getting them used to it by holding them on your lap. Also try not to hold them too far off the ground, and don't let their legs dangle as this is how they are carried off by predators and it will scare them. Gently encourage them to come to you by holding some yummy food and feed them out of your hand instead of a bowl. You can then slowly over time start to stroke their heads and backs while you are feeding them, and they will come to associate you with nice things :D

Look forward to hearing more about your lovely bunnies very soon (and seeing some photos if you have any??)

Hi and welcome I only joined recently and everyone is really friendly.

With the handling thing start with nose strokes and go from there. A lot of bunnies hate being picked up no matter what this is after all what a predator does. My Silky is much more hands off than Dylan who will demand attention. Try sitting or laying on the ground first most bunnies get curious after a while and hop over or onto you.Also try lying on your front and getting closer my stroking their noses. My dylan loves hugs (grinds teeth shuts eyes) but only at ground level. The best I get from silks is if she ever jumps onto me or to stroke her nose. Anything more huggy she hates and is convinced Ill eat her!

Our Bunnies

Meet Millie and Chloé. I'm sorry that it is not a very clear (or indeed good) photo, but they do have a habbit of running away just as I click the button on the camera!

:)

Cropped_IMGP1199.jpg

Back