• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! neck problems

My lop ear has been tilting her head to the left...it looks uncomfortable. I thought it was a neck cramp, but it's been that way for hours now. I don't know what brought it on, but I'm more concerned about how to fix it. Any help please? ...pretty please?

hi

it sounds like head tilt, which is usually caused by an ear infection, so she will need to go to the vets tomorrow and go on a course of antibiotics to clear it up - is she able to eat and drink?

I'm giving antibiotics to my rabbit at the mo and the best way is to drip it from the syringe onto the top of a cabbage leaf - but only if your bunny is used to eating cabbage already - upset tum on top of head tilt wouldn't be good! Hope she gets well soon :)

Hiya. Is there any-way you could get your bun seen by a vet TODAY. It is just that left un-treated middle ear infections can become very serious and progress to a type of meningitis. I dont want to frighten you, but the longer you leave your bun without anti-biotics the more at risk from serious complications he/she will be. It is also important that your bun continues to eat/drink as GI stasis is another risk factor. Also,your bun will need anti-inflammatory medication...middle ear disease is painful. Your vet may also prescribe a course of Panacur as sometimes Head-Tilt can be caused by a parasite which can do permanent long term damage. Really would advise you get your bun veterinary treatment today if at all possible. Jane and Buns xx

Thanks for everyone's help. Miss Bunn is eating and drinking, but a little bit. I am taking her to the vet today.

As a struggling student trying to make ends meet...a big concern...Approx how much will this cost? I know it's dependent upon what she has, but roughly?

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE.

hi

I think the consultation fee is about £15 - £20 usually, then antibiotics or any other tests etc on top of that - I think it was £30 all together for when my rabbit got a course of antibiotics - it depends what's wrong, and how long a course she needs, or if extra tests need to be done - Usually the vet will just try antibiotics first.

If she's not eating much she could have her gut slow down and that can be very serious, and more vets bills, so if you encourage her to eat by hand feeding her that would be a good idea. If she's not able to drink, you may need to syringe fluids into her mouth carefully (ie just behind the front teeth and squeeze the syringe slowly or she may choke) or the vet can give her some in her skin by injection (which you will pay for again). Is she used to eating veg at all?

I think it usually takes at least a fortnight for them to recover, so you are going to have to do some nursing to get her through - hope she's OK :)

Back