• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

withered ear?????

bunnyhuggger

Warren Veteran
:shock:

One of our buns is just recovering from being very poorly (vet baffled with symptoms, blood tests etc., but intensive care seems to have done the trick), however now she seems to have developed strange bits on the ends of her ears, it's almost like the ends are dying off :shock: At first it was only one ear and I thought she'd been trailing it in her baby food and I tried washing it off but now it's started on the other ear and the ends have gone 'crispy' and are starting to curl :shock: :shock: :shock:

Any ideas?

Oh, forgot to add, when she was poorly her ears 'thickened' quite a bit and felt fleshy, now they're not like that. Mentioned it to the vet but she'd not seen it before and it wasn't basal like myxo symptoms it was the whole ear.

Awww poor bunny :(

Can't help you with strange ears I'm afraid maybe Jane will know something, have you got any pics of the patient?

It could be one of two things????

It could be that DeeDee has a problem with her pituitary gland which controls her hormone levels.

Hyperthyroidism can cause thickening of the ears and problems with the extremities whch could account for the "dying off" of the ear endings. If this is the case then it can result in deafness withing 120 days.

This is an illness which can affect people and animals. Tests have been done on this in animals in Australia (I think) - I will try and find out more info on this.

The other thing it could be is mange which does not always come up on blood tests/skin scrapings. It starts off with beige or white coloured lesions at the ear endings and is also charachterised by thickening of the ears. It is quite easily treated although it is relatively uncommon.

lol Pam

When my bun had myxo his whole ears became thick.

If there was swelling that could have effected blood flow & cause parts to die I guess :(

We had a bun called William who's ears where the same - they where like that when he came here but over time we also noticed that they would wither a bit more and another bit seemed to die off.
Due to bun being so sick it could also be that her temperature has been up and down (slightly without you noticing) and that is what has caused it.
Jacob (ATB) also had the same problem but with him it was due to him having abscesses in the actual ear rather than the inner ear - this could only be felt now and again and it would be with thickening of the ear and then go back to normal - this would result in his ears curling over and bits fraying off :shock:
Pam, I would be really interested in what you can find out about the tests and things they have done - it sounds amazing :)

Did your vet take blood samples from the veins in your buns ears? If so this can cause the tissue to thicken/die and slough off. Some vets try ear veins before the leg veins or jugular vein. Or if your vet attempted to administer IV drugs in the ear vein the same thing can happen. Glad your bun appears to have recovered. Jane and Buns xx

I found some info on these Australian tests which were done to find out how various illnesses and medical conditions can affect hearing in people and also in animals.

"The ears of experimental hypothyroid animals showed a variety of histologic changes. These included thickening of the tympanic membrane"

This is basically the bit the separates the outer and middle ear which if I remember was where Deedee was swollen.It can also cause swelling of the skin elsewhere and mental dullness.

Don't know if this is any use 'though :?

lol Pam

Back