• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

handling problems!

touie

Wise Old Thumper
My mother and I have spent the afternoon trying to groom Toffee and caramel!!! It's really difficult, I managed to get the knots out of their backs and sides but there's no way i could get the comb under their chins :shock: I also tried to look at their tummys to see how the fur was growing back but it is really difficult, they don't like being on their backs and are not used to being handled at all!

I was wondering if anyone could advise on how to get them used to being handled as i'm thinking that within a month I'm going to have to comb their undersides too? :shock:

I lay them on their back on my leg with head under my elbow/arm.. hard to explain but if they are held tightly they do not kick as much. To start with with simba i used to wrap him in a towel with just nose poking out and lay him on his back on my lap. He was happier like that and i just undid the bottom bit to get to his bottom/belly. He will stay on his back without now. If i was closer id come and see if i can show u how i mean :?

Maybe also handling them WITHOUT having to groom them. :? Just have them sitting on your lap for a nose rub for a few mins. Then extend the time you hold them. If the only time they are picked up is to be groomed they will assosciate one with t'other!! :roll: :roll: Good luck with the bunster beauty routine!! :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

Thanks :D Problem is they won't come near me even if i sit near them on the floor they run off! :( I have hand fed them and they'll stay for that but as soon as you stroke them they're off! I've avoided brushing them for the week and been trying to make friends instead but they're just not interested :( Caramel growls and toffee bites :( They seem to be getting worse too, as when they first arrived they were quite happy to sit for nose rubs? :?

hi

really hard situation for you here - You did so good rescuing them, and now you have a catch 22 situation - which is more important with these rescue bunnies, befriending them or grooming them? If they were mine, bearing in mind I'm a complete wuss with handling rabbits, I'd just keep contact to a minimum for a couple of months, so they settle - can you leave their coat and let the vet clip it all off in a couple of months again?

In a perfect world, all rabbits would be well handled from a young age, and not difficult or viscious, but these 2 probably haven't had good handling before you got them - you are doing the best you can so don't worry if it's not perfect - it's better than what they had before :)

I've had my girls 4 months now and still can't stroke them, even when they are eating - except for Maa who must have been petted a lot before - if they've only ever been handled for vet or care purposes, they won't be interested in people as friends - If they are happy with life then that's what matters.

yes it is really difficult cause if they let me brush them I could have each done in 5 mins, it took about half an hour each today and that was just with the large tooth comb and the scissors they wouldn't sit still longer than that! They'd got very knotty in the week as well especially Caramel who has slightly finer fur, I had to cut quite a few knots out!! :?

Back