• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fireworks

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
Shock Rise in Firework Animal Distress Calls to RSPCA

An appalling 82% increase in calls to the RSPCA about distressed and injured animals this fireworks season has prompted the charity to demand Government action. Between the 4th and 6th of November, 255 calls were made to the RSPCA�s hotline, compared to only 140 last year, which the Society says proves that the Government needs to do more to reduce the suffering fireworks cause animals each year.

Some of the more horrific incidents reported included a cat dying after apparently being tied to a firework; children were seen throwing fireworks at a tethered horse; and another two tethered horses were seen rearing up and galloping in circles due to loud fireworks being set off nearby.

The RSPCA�s recent report �Keep the Noise Down�, has surmised that a noise limit of 97 decibels, compared to the current 120 decibels should be set for fireworks available on general sale to the public for private displays. 97dB is equivalent to a car door slamming, whereas 120dB is more like a jet taking off.

Tim Miles, the RSPCA�s chief veterinary adviser, said: �Thousands of animals up and down the country suffer distress or injury every year because of firework noise. Our research shows this distress could be dramatically reduced if fireworks no louder than 97 decibels were available to the public for private displays. Fireworks don�t have to be loud to be impressive. We urge members of the public to buy low-noise fireworks which are registered as Category Two under the British Standards mark.�

The Society�s campaign is taking on fresh urgency, as a proposed EU Directive could result in a Europe-wide maximum noise level of 120dB available to the public for private displays. Currently the UK Government could set a lower maximum noise level, and ensure that a provision was included in the EU Directive to allow member states to set their own limits. If, however, this is not done before the EU Directive comes into force, the UK Government could be prevented from setting its own lower noise limit in future.

If you wish find out more about the RSPCA�s report visit the RSPCA Fireworks Homepage or call 0870 3335 999. If you feel strongly about the distress caused to pets, wildlife and livestock, the RSPCA is urging you to contact your MP to ask them to write to Consumer Affairs Minister, Gerry Sutcliffe.

Taken from the Pet Planet Newsletter.

Damn fireworks, about time they were banned altogether in my opinion. They start 2 weeks before Nov 5th and carry on for at least a week after. My one cat is so scared of them. But worst still are the hateful cruel people that attack defenceless animals with firework, they truely are sick.

Such an antiquated tradition needs to be put to rest imediately.

Kate

I agree, public displays only. That is so sick tying poor animals to the actual firework HOW SICK CAN YOU GET :shock:

I sometimes think the idiotic children (usually kids I am assuming) who do this seriously have something wrong in their heads and should be called in because aren't they murderers in the making?

They are Disturbed individuals.

Back