• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP ...white discharge 2ND UPDATE

leesabuntine

Warren Scout
Hi all
I have just noticed my bunny has white discharge from his nose.
He has been quite quiet since last nite. He just keeps lying down
has any1 got any ideas???
my vet is closed till mon...

TIA
Leesa.

Could you not get hold of the emergency vet? :?

Sorry, I don't have any useful advice, I'm sure someone will soon enough though!

Good luck, hope its nothing too serious xx

Right
Been to emergency vet....£55 :shock: But worth it!
They couldnt find any sign of snuffles or infection but said his back seemed sore along his spine and said that he could have twisted it!
Got some pain killing injection and antibiotics as a precaution and was told to take him home return him to his cage and leave him in a quiet room.

Went out for a few hrs to give him a bit of quiet,got some probiotics from p@h came home and found him almost back to his growling grumpy self....to my relief!
Was worried he would be dead when I came back....my son would have been gutted.

Have to go back to oncall vet tomorrow if he isnt better or back to my own vet on mon morn for a check up.
Cannot tell you how relieved i am that he seems a bit better....fingers and paws crossed that he stays that way.

Thankyou to all of you who replied!

Will update how he is!
Leesa.

:D P-H-E-Wwwwwww!! Glad he's back to his (grumpy!! :lol: ) old self. Typical man :roll: ...bit of backache and they just cant cope!! :lol: They should have babies then they'd know pain!! :shock: :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

would get a second vet to check as white discharge from the nose has nothing to do with a sore back. There has to be a reason for it. Tests can be done to find out what it is. There dosent have to be any other symptoms, a white discharge from the nose may well be pasturela. val

Will go to see my vet first thing monday morning and will ask about the white discharge and possibly pasturella.
Am now worried his painkiller will wear off tomorrow and he will be unwell again. :(
Might sleep in living room with him tonite just incase....hubby will think i have lost the plot!! :lol:
He has drunk lots of water with probiotic in it ,eaten some yummy grapes,spinach and ate lots of hay...but i have left him in his cage so he rests his back as much as poss.
Still really worried though....until he is completely back to his old self!

Will update if anything happens.
Thanks everyone
Leesa.....and George!!

Ok....just back from vet this morn and i have got some baytrill to syringe him for a week.
Hes still a bit quiet so i will keep an eye on him.And there is still some white discharge from his nose.
I have to go straight back if he stops eatin again! Thank goodness my vet is across the road from me especially with the 4yr old and 2yr old in tow!

Thanks everyone!
One m ore question.....will i wrap him in a towel to syringe the meds into him????Hes rather fiesty!!!!

Leesa.

Hi Leesa,

Hopefully the baytril will work. My bunny gets white discharge from his nose..he was on antibiotics for a month and no improvement unfortunately.

He had a nose swab done last week and get the results on Wednesday!
hope your bun gets better soon!

Back