• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit insurance

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Yes, they are the only two Companies that I've been able to find as yet.
Others I have telephoned only cover Cats and Dogs. Both Pet Protect and Pet Plan seem very pricey. Does anybody know of any other Insurance Companies that cover rabbits?

Nicola x

How many buns do u have?

If its one or two, pet plan are pretty good, otherwise, the buns own bank account may be another idea :wink:

Sophie's insurance is something like £60 a year, not bad! :wink:

I have two at the moment.

Your policy sounds very good. Who's that with?
I phoned Pet Plan and they quoted £7.15 a month with a £45 excess. That was a quote for just one bunny.

Nic x

Sophie is insured with Pet plan!! :wink:

You get a discount as well if you pay it yearly rather than monthly! :D

Postcode made all the difference with mine! I'm in the South East so got quoted £9 a month with a £60 excess :shock:

harvester said:
Also might be worth investigating Tesco online, since this page seems to say they DO insure buns:
http://www.tescofinance.com/personal/finance/smarter_money/getting_insured/pet_ins.html

Ooooh you're right, it does. If you go to do an online quote though, the drop down box only gives you a choice of cat or dog :roll:

Just looking at the T&C of one of those other policies. Doesn't this condition strike you as a bit odd?
At the time that your insurance started you must have incurred no costs or losses for either veterinary fees, other than routine, death or theft in respect of this pet or any other pet in the last twelve months.

I have an 18 year old cat for whom we are managing a liver tumour. This condition seems to imply that I would not be able to insure my rabbits at the moment because of this. And the relevance is, exactly...?

Hi,

Insurance for bunnies is a pain and i get it makes it harder getting a competitive price when theres so few to choose from.

I'm personally with Pet plan. I have 2 rabbits.

I got 6 weeks free when I rescued my bunnies. Then I phoned to continue the insurance. Postcode makes a difference and in GU7 I have to pay £60 excess :( Anyway, it was a while ago I phoned and I wasn't happy with the price they quoted. It is cheaper if you pay annually. But play hard to get (but not too hard...). I did this and the bloke offered me a month free for both my bunnies. So my insurance worked out in the end at £180 for 2 buns :s Thats 7.50 a month per bun WITH a discount!

I guess you have to weigh up whether its best to go for a savings account or insurance. What ultimately made my mind up was that if my buns needed treatment in the hundreds of pounds I just simply couldn't afford that in the next few years. So have decided to play it safe.

My buns got snuffles and I've managed to make a claim to get back £62 so in a way the insurance was kind of worth it but now I need to keep it going to be able to continue claiming for snuffles, otherwise it'll be considered a pre-existing condition.

It's a toughy. Just try and haggle with those insurance companies...at the end of the day they want your custom. Be cheeky, ask for a discount.

AlisonA said:
Just looking at the T&C of one of those other policies. Doesn't this condition strike you as a bit odd?
At the time that your insurance started you must have incurred no costs or losses for either veterinary fees, other than routine, death or theft in respect of this pet or any other pet in the last twelve months.

Sorry but this bit made me laugh I assume the death bit doesn't refer to the pet you are trying to insure! I can imagine the conversation...

You: Hi I want to insure my rabbit

Insurer: Have you recently paid any vets bills other that that relating to the death of your pet or other routine visits?

You: Um my rabbit isn't dead - wouldn't that be a bit stupid to be trying to insure my rabbit after its death?

Insurer: Well we have to check the rabbit hasn't got a previous ongoing medical condition but luckily death doesn't count as one

You: YOU WHAT???

On a more serious note the bit about paying vets bills for other pets is stupid! If you have a cat sick with something how can it possibly relate to a healthy rabbit you are trying to insure??!

Caz

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your suggestions. It really is mind-boggling. The Tesco insurance mentions rabbits but when I phoned up they said they only cover cats and dogs. Some of the other Insurances are a tad cheaper but then you read the terms and conditions of the policy and they won't insure against dental problems.....what's the point of that? Or, others say they will only provide cover for dental treatment after you have been with them for two years and no dental problems have arisen during that period.

Looks like you have to be really careful and look through the policy terms and conditions with a finetooth comb.

It's looking like Pet Plan maybe the best so far as it includes dental treatment but is a bit more pricey.

Weird how your postcode can influence your payments so much.

Thanks for everyones help. Let me know if you hear of anywhere else.

Nic x

I paid £70 for the year, got 8 quid off for paying all up front and I have an access of £50. You will also need to ask your vet if they charge a fee for filling out the forms as mine charges £5.55 I think it was :? It does not cover you for dentals or neutering and vac's and part of my policy states that, the bunny MUST be vaccinated for myxi and VHD, (which is fine by me as I will do this anyway) so do read the policy carefully :wink: you have 14 days to cancel and get a full refund if you do not wish to proceed :wink:

I say yay for petplan! I recieved a payment in this post just this morning for £87 from when Milo had bad stasis and needed emergency treatment and hospitalisation. I was worried they might not pay for the out of hours charges but they have. The only thing I had to pay was £40 excess and a whopping £2.50 for recovery food.

So I have now decided to insure my other rabbit, Tess with them now I know they are reliable.

Nicola xx

I was with pet plan up till last month. I never had to claim on it I've not had any bills bigger than the excess!!! I've just started a savings account for vet treatment today for my 6 and am paying £40 per month so within 8-10 months there should be enough in there to cover any really bad bills!! and i can also use it for vaccs if i need to! :D

Back