• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sizes of rabbits

Denny

Mama Doe
Can't help wondering what people class as the size of rabbits. I have noticed a few buns being advertised as medium buns but then they weigh 2.4kg :? :? which is the top end of a dwarf sized bun :? Pictures can be very deceiving and just wondered if it would give folk more of a clue to the acutual size of the bun if the weight was included in the description :)

There are alot more medium buns on RR than small but am now wondering if some are actually at the smaller end of the medium bracket :? if someone was looking for a smaller bun due to lack of space they could still contemplate rehoming one that is has been placed in the medium section without realising it :wink:

What do you class as small, medium and large :?:

Being very technically minded, I would class small as nethie, minilop or mini rex size, large would be French Lop and the Giant Breeds and medium would be everything else. :lol: :lol:
The weight would be a good way to judge a bun - so would length (and probably easier to measure).

thats what I thought Julie, but then dwarf lops are being advertised in the medium section and the small :? :? Eddie is the top end of a dwarf weight so would probably class him as medium :? :) :lol:

Denny said:
thats what I thought Julie, but then dwarf lops are being advertised in the medium section and the small :? :? Eddie is the top end of a dwarf weight so would probably class him as medium :? :) :lol:

i have a dwalf lop denny that a certain pet shop were claiming to pts because he was to big to sell! :? :cry: :cry:

I think the name of the dwarf lop does cause confusion - if you had no rabbit knowledge you would assume the rabbit would grow into a nethie sized rabbit and could probably buy a hutch assuming that but it is a dwarf compared to a french. Maybe the names need to be rethought.

Towsbuns said:
I think the name of the dwarf lop does cause confusion - if you had no rabbit knowledge you would assume the rabbit would grow into a nethie sized rabbit and could probably buy a hutch assuming that but it is a dwarf compared to a french. Maybe the names need to be rethought.

think you have hit the nail on the head so to speak Julie :D I think many would assume a dwarf was a small bun but it is not always the case :wink:

bunnylove said:
Denny said:

i have a dwalf lop denny that a certain pet shop were claiming to pts because he was to big to sell! :? :cry: :cry:

this is what really breaks my heart :( I cannot understand why some people dont find any animal cute, regardless of size or colour :( when i look at an animal, I dont see the size, (unless it is a great dane that is :shock: :shock: ) have to admit, Mr Bo-jangles was the first baby animal I have ever had and found him getting cuter as he got older :D but then I find children who can talk and walk more amusing than babies :D :lol:

Denny said:
bunnylove said:
Denny said:

this is what really breaks my heart :( I cannot understand why some people dont find any animal cute, regardless of size or colour :( when i look at an animal, I dont see the size, (unless it is a great dane that is :shock: :shock: ) have to admit, Mr Bo-jangles was the first baby animal I have ever had and found him getting cuter as he got older :D but then I find children who can talk and walk more amusing than babies :D :lol:

same here i think bigger is better, but then my hubby thing smaller is better (well he would wouldnt he! :wink: ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

i love all rabbit reguardless of size!

Robbie was described as a 'dwarf lop' when I got him, and he's 3.1 kilos now and doesn't look very dwarf to me :? :roll:

Medium is confusing, however, I think it's better that they are 'advertised' as larger than they might be, rather than smaller, otherwise people may end up keeping them in accomodation far too small for them :?

Lynn said:
Robbie was described as a 'dwarf lop' when I got him, and he's 3.1 kilos now and doesn't look very dwarf to me :? :roll:
Yep! Harry was in the rescue as a "dwarf lop" too. Now he weighs 4.3kg :lol:

I think it's probably mainly because although us bunny people have a fair concept of the different sizes of bunnies, most other people have only ever seen baby bunnies or nethies so assume that anything bigger than that is huge! So sizing what are really small rabbits as medium gives non-rabbity people a better idea of what to expect, if you see what I mean!

Yeah Toby weights 2.3 or 3.2 ....sure it was 2.3 :lol: But yeah his Medium. I have never gone with weight because I suppose all rabbits weight differently :?

My Dylan weighs 6kg which makes him bigger than the cat 1ml of baytril when required and nearly as big as the cav king charles we pet sit. Silky is half his size (based on baytril dosage which they do on weight) and therefore medium I think. I think they come bigger than Dylan too

bunnylove said:
same here i think bigger is better, but then my hubby thing smaller is better (well he would wouldnt he! :wink: ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

i love all rabbit reguardless of size!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Many people get confused about size, in the lops the guide is 3 to 3and a half lb is a mini lop 4 to 5 is a dwarf lop 6t0 8 is a german and 10 upwards is a french lop. val

:lol: Val I obviously spent too long on the continent, I just had to convert all of your lbs into kgs :lol:

I agree it is confusing :?

Aggie is my biggest bunny - she weight 4kg, then comes Mash at 2.6kg, Bluebelle at 2.4 kg and Twinkle is 2.2kg.

Apart from teh fact they are all lop eared I really have not got a clue what "type" they are - Aggie was a show bunny but I cut her ring off - with hindsight I should have checked her background :roll:

Anyway I decided that all my bunnies are a breed of their own - snuggle buny :D

lol Pam

Back