• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fudge has mites!!! been2vets but have a question?

lou

Warren Scout
Took fudge to the vets on wednesday, because I'd notice patches of flaky skin (dandruff) Hadn't posted about this before as even though everyone is so helpful and gives great advice, I thought I'd be told to take her to the V.E.T.S. :D Did do a search through some old posts though!!!!
Anyway the vet took some of her fur to put under the microscope and found she'd got mites (was kinda relived cuz thought I'd taken her for no reason!) fudge then had the first of three injections to clear this up.
my main reason for posting is that since going to the vets I had spied the little beggers crawling round in her fur :shock: ...Do I phone the vets and find out if there is anything else I can do, eg shampoo etc, or should they just disappear after having the injections................I can't stop scratching now at the thought of fudges itchy friends. :lol: As it is I've not seen her bothered by them...no scratching, soreness or redness...think I was more bothered than her.....she was certainly more bothered by the trip to the vets in my car......oh any advice on keeping them calm...fudge sat shaking and looking rather scared in her carrier for quite a while, although as soon as she was in my arms, she got snuggly and nearly dosed off!!!!

Eddie had ear mites and have to say, they did'nt start dieing off untill the second injection, you could try combing her with a fine cat flea comb which would get some of them out :wink: :)

When dyl got mites I noticed the scale at the back of his neck. The vet looked at him under his light and we could both see very tiny orange things all over his fur not just where the scale was in fact more towards the base of his back. It took three trips to the vet and they did a spot on the second and third time and he wasnt mite free until his check up the week after the third spot on. And I had to take silky and she had a few too. His fur improved loads after the second trip to its lovely shiny normal stuff so be patient.

Back