• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blue, my rex has upper resp infection

loulouembers

Warren Scout
I have just come back from the vets and my beautiful Blue Rex, called Blue has an upper respiratory infection but his chest is noisy too. It has come on very suddenly, yesterday he didnt eat or drink and this morning I moved him into a warmer place but he was making a rasping noise. He has had an anti-inflamatory injection and antibiotic injection and I have Baytril to give him twice a day, then back to vet on Sat morning.
:?: :?: :?: :?: Is there anything else I can do to help him :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Hello.Is Blue eating now? If not you will need to syringe feed him as it is important to keep his guts moving whilst the antibiotic kicks in. Try to keep his environmental temperature at a steady 16c with a good air exchange. So you may have to turn your central heating down and put your thermals on!! If you dont have any Science Recovery liquid feed then try getting him to take some veggie based baby food or some of the powdered baby food that DOES NOT HAVE MILK IN IT. Try to get him to drink too. A water bowl may be better than a sipper bottle. I would keep him as quiet as possible and allow him to rest. Just make sure he eats enough to keep some poops passing through. If he does not eat tonight you need to go back to the vet tomorrow as Blue will need a gut motility drug too. The anti-inflammatory he's had will help his raspy breathing and the antibiotics should 'kick in' over the next 24-48hrs. If you notice Blue breathing with his mouth open or with his neck extended you need to get himm back to the vet STRAIGHT AWAY. I have nursed many buns with severe RTI's and the first 48 hrs are the worst. Sending lots of healing vibes for Blue. Please let us know how he gets on. Jane and Buns xx

He is not eating, and hasnt since yesterday morning. I will get a jar of baby food and try him on some tonight. He is not in an overly hot room so hope this is better than outside in shed.
Thanx JCO, you are a great helper on the forum

Hi again,do try to get him to eat. Has he passed any poops..?? Have you a late night chemist nearby? If so you could buy some diorolyte rehydration sachets...Plain Flavour if poss. Even getting Blue to take fluids will help. You can PM me if you need to. Will try and help all I can. Please get well Blue!! Jane and Buns xx

He did a small wee this morning and there were a couple of normal poops. The vet cleaned his bottom this afternoon as it was a bit sticky. He said that was because Blue was feeling so rough he was not keeping himself clean. I have just got him to eat 9ml of carrot and potato baby food. Will try a little more later when I give him the antibiotics.
Thanx

Sending lots of healing vibes to Blue. 9ml of feed is great. Hopefully he'll take a bit more later. Keep us posted as to how he is. Jane and Buns xx

Make sure to keep him warm! Very important. We lost Zorro to pnemonia and they didn't think it was that bad. We should have kept him in the house at a constant temp but they didn't tell us that until after the fact. He was also on baytril and they did some fluid injections. I am praying for your little bun, it can be such a trying time waiting for one to get better. Lots of bunny hugs from us all.
Christine

Blue is a lot brighter this morning and has eaten some dandelion leaves. He wont touch anything else but he is not rasping. Have managed to get the medicine in. He is in a warm place with no draughts. Hope this is a good sign and not false hope but fingers crossed.

That sounds good. Pleased he seems to be doing better. Sending lots of snuggles, and hope he continues to improve.

hope it all works out hun, my rabbit has just got over pneumonia, I brought her indoorsI was using a facial steamer and olbas oil to help her breath,+antibiotics, it was a hoorible sound and reminded me of my pleurisy attack in the summer. She really hated taking the medicine through a syringe and tried to bite a couple of times. I gave her dandelion leaves which she would eat too. She seems fine now although I did read that this problem can reoccur so am keeping her in at night until April.

all the best of luck
Sandy

Blue brighter now, eating dandelions, half a carrot, some food and weetabix and drinking. Vet v pleased, I think he thought Blue would not make it til appointment this morning. Will keep warm and watch him closely.
Thanx for all the healing vibes

:D :D Well done for nursing Blue so well and making sure you got him to the vets quickly. He must be one grateful Rex-Bunster!! Really pleased to hear he is improving :D :D Jane and Buns xx

Glad to hear he is a bit better :)
Can i see a pic please,i have a blue rex called claude
66b90389914cdd2e394fcdf9c6fb3400.JPG

Blue seems a lot better now, back to his usual self, no rasping or problems with eating and toileting. He was brought inside when first sick and now I do not know when he will be able to go back outside. If you have had dealing with rabbits with upper resp. infections could you let me know what you think. It is very cold now, even in Brighton!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b298/loulouembers/13-11-05007a.jpg
A picture of my king, hope it uploads properly!!

Back