• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you think to this hutch?

Estelle

Wise Old Thumper
I'm thinking of getting Amber a new hutch. The one she has now is 4ft x 2ft x 2ft but as she is living alone and as Phoebe hates her and won't let her join them in the shed, I was thinking of looking for a boyfriend for her. :D
I don't think the hutch she has now would be big enough for 2. She gets a run round the garden for a couple of hours a day so I don't really want an attached run as it would mean putting down more slabs.
I saw this on ebay and don't think the price is too bad, what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Luxury-Pentho...724693376QQcategoryZ63513QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

looks ideal to me!!! although, i do like the thought of having a run attached esp as there are 2 rabbits. But as you say if they get a few hours out then thats fine!

hi

looks lovely - but the ladder's a bit awkward as they have to get on it sideways (although Benny doesn't even have his ladder any more - he just jumps up through the hole) - and there's no partition across the bedroom compartment so it would be too cold and draughty for winter? With the bedroom being slanted as well, it makes that area a bit small...But it looks sooo pretty :)

I think there is a partition wall on the bed side but its hard to see in the picture. I could put some clear perspex over the doors on the upstairs and leave the downstairs open. Even though it says its 5ft by 2ft I was worried the angles make the floor space smaller.
I've asked them if I can go and see it as Derby isn't far from me.

hi

Personally I do not like these, but thats my prefernce of cause,nothing wrong with it as such. I prefer long hutches and the living area 4ft or more for them to run up and down with a run underneath.

Im not a keen lover of ladders unless they lead directly from the actual door out into or down into the run and theres quite a height above it so the rabbit doesnt get squashed.

To be honest im an old fashioned rabbit keeper and that is 4ft to 6ft long with just over 2ft high in height so bunny can stand up.

I feel that £60 to £80 for one of the above that ive stated instead of way over 100 for a deluxe is better money spent Ive had rabbits for years and My dad showed them and he made all his hutches mainly from 1970s (showing my age,lol,) Old Wooden sideboards, lasted for ages and always 6 to 7ft...

I think for a small bunny the one you have shown would be good but my monsterous rabbit wouldnt fit in it..

Sweety

I was extremely impressed with Hop-and-Hutch hutches. I got the jumbo double delux with attached run. It is very well made!!!

It is a 4 foot by 2 foot double tier but i think its more like 41/2 foot! and its high for the bunnies to stretch up.

Alfie has his all to him self until i get another bun

hi

I have found someone who would make any hutch, 6ft for only 60 pounds made to your exact requirements,he is in my area and im hoping to get one made by him for my Duchess who seems to be growing bigger by the day, shes in a 4.5ft right now but spends most the day on the shed floor as its 8ft long.

If you can find someone like a local carpenter, they will more likely only charge you half of what you pay in a petstore. Pampured Pets have 5fts for about £100 and 6fts for about £120 a lot of money.

Its worth looking for a handyman they normally quite happy to do that type of thing..

sweety

Thats not a bad idea. I know a couple of carpenters I could ask, just need to show them a plan of what I want first.

hi

Hi

Yes they will be glad of the work and will more likely work to your own plans so that way, you get what you want :D

Sweety

Yes, get a local handyman to build one. When my buns lived in their hutch it was three storeys high with ramps, 5 ft wide, 2 ft deep and 6 ft high, and only cost me 75 pounds to have build. It was really professionally done too.

I think that plastic hutch on the website looks far too narrow for bunnies.

Sue

Hi

Im off in a minute to go look at blocks of hutches, a lady is giving up her guineapigs and is selling all her blocks for £60 each, I have been looking at these for ages as they are more space efficient in the shed, plus if I buy two blocks of 4, thats 8 cages in a block, I can still fit my exisiting block of 4 in there, so that makes 12 instead of the 8 I have (make sense?)

Its just where they are 16 inch high and 1 inch wide and 3.6ft to 4ft long they are compact and fit better than the standard cages.

Guinepaigs dont need the height and width so much.

As I have 16 pigs and 3 rabbits, these blocks are expensive to buy new.

sweety

/

Estelle Leicester RSPCA did have 6 ft hutches with partitioned bed area for £85..quite well made and nice height..it would mean picking it up though..have you someone with an estate car? Just to add any bought hutch usually comes with those silly wooden swing catches ..please add bolts to any you buy :D

Back