• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Immediate Help Lulu is flopping over, HELP!

She was just fine this morning when I opened the door up into the outdoor run. Its been cold here but she has a heat lamp to get under if she needs to warm up. When I went out this evening to shut the door and lock her in she was just huddled in her little bed, when I picked her up she just didn't feel right and I set her down and she hopped a little then flopped over and her head is tilted. Won't be able to get into the vet until tomorrow, I have antibiotics left from Zorro that are still good and the dosage would be the same should I give her some tonight???? I really don't want to lose her but just have this feeling I will go out in the morning and she will be gone. Sob sob sob. I just don't know what is wrong, I know I have read stuff about this but havent' been able to find the posts again. Please any info asap would be good.

I gave her 2cc of Baytril and am praying she makes it until morning but she is very dizzy and not well although she is eating and drinking. Brought her inside for a while and she was still very affectionate but obviosly off balance, she doesn't seem to have anything else wrong though. When i put her back in she would dizzily hop the stop and scratch her ear so hopefully it is nothing that will kill her overnight and we will see the vet first thing in the morning.

It sounds like she has a head tilt - her head is tilted to one side and this is causing balence problem problems - making her roll over over. This is most likely an inner ear infection. Treatment is antibiotics and anti-inflamitorys, it can take a couple of weeks to see improvement and it is quite serious. It looks very dramatic but I'd be fairly confident in saying your bun will still be with you tommorow morning if you can't get to the vet this evening.

It may help to give her something to prop her self against and make sure she is able to get to her food and water.

Tam

I sure hope she is ok, I have just had a rotten time with my pets lately, making me feel like a terrible mommy. I just worry so much because my daughter will be distraught, well so will I, if we lose a 3rd bunny. Thanks for the info.

poor lula and poor you, you've had a bad time recently with your bunnies :( i hope lula will be ok, snuggles to her from my five

How is she today? :( I know what you mean with having terrible luck with animals - I am right with you on that one coz I have had a terrible few weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all,
Well thank heavens she is still alive this morning. Still dizzy and flopping over though but was happy to see me and eating and drinking still. I will get her into the vet as soon as they open this morning and hopefully they will shed a little light on the situation. I will let you know what we find out when we get back.
Christine

So we went to the vet but by that time she was fine. The vet said it was really strange that it stopped because it like never corrects itself. He looked at her ears and everything and said they were perfect. He also said that if she starts doing it again they will have to pursue treatment, he called it rolling bunny disease, but he didn't really have an explanation of what it was. So I am a little confused but happy she is doing better.

It sounds as if she had head tilt. That was a very small dose of baytril but it may be why it cleared up so fast. Please make sure that you give it to her for at least 5 days or you may end up with her having resistant bacteria which would mean that if it happened again it wouldn't respond to treatment. Your vet should have told you to do this too. I have had a rabbit respond that quickly when I gave him baytril immediatly for head tilt, so I am sure that was what did it. It was most likely an inner or middle ear infection that caused it, which may not be gone yet which is why you need to continue with the antibiotics even though she seems better.

Well I called the vet she was worse again this morning so now she is on baytril twice a day for 10 days. I already knew to keep her on the meds after that first night for at least 5 days but apparently she needed it more like twice a day. Anyhow hopefully she will recover, poor little bun she doesn't like taking the stuff.

Most rabbits hate the taste of batril its vile :lol: , try putting some pineapple juice or something like that to it, it wont taste as bad. val

She seems to be doing better, not much flopping or falling over but she still has an occasional twitch. I hope she recovers fully, she is such a sweet little thing and I am so attached.
Thanks for all the advise and support.
Christine

Sound like what my bunny had. I was told it was called EC. Can't remember the proper long name.
Bubbles could not walk, she fell over, her eyes kept rolling, i had to hand feed the poor thing 4 times a day.
Good new is wth the stuff you are giving yours she is all better. Can't thank Lorna enough at Greenfields Rescue for all her help, and she put me in contact with another nice buny lady.

Bubbles has gained a slight puzzled looking head lean which is now part of her charchater. Good luck for the recovery.

Back