• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sealy

Bindi

Warren Scout
OK, Sealy case book:

9th February 2004- Sealy was born.
25th February 2004- Two weeks- Sealy attacked by a ferret.
12th March 2004- One month old- The approximate date that Sealy was separated from his mother because his growth problems were recognised.
Sealy's health problems escalated soon after with multiple blockages in his intestines and it became apparent that his digestive system wasn't working properly. He is given months to live.
October 2004- Eight months old- Sealy falls ill again for a short while, then recovers.
9th February 2005- Sealy celebrates his first birthday against the odds.
August 2005- One year, eight months old- Sealy falls ill again after his back teeth spur (malocclusion) and his guts do into stasis. After an operation, he recovers.
22nd October 2005- a lump is found in Sealy's caudal abdomen.
24th October 2005- The vets think that the lump is a distended stomach caused by a blockage.
25th October 2005- Sealy falls very very ill overnight and the vets realise that he is too sick to be x-rayed due to the anaesthetic. They decide to take bloods instead.
27th October 2005- Sealy is diagnosed with gut and liver failure. His only chance is an operation, but if it fails or his condition deteriorates, then the vets advise that he is put to sleep.
November 2005- Sealy has had his operation and survived, despite what the vets thought. He needs to drink lots of water to keep his stomach operating, and therefore keep him alive long enough for his liver to repair. His stomach is still distended and he is not drinking enough, but otherwise has slowly become more lively and more willing to annoy the girl bunny *sigh*.

I'll tell you how the story ends.

What a brave,brave bunny and a devoted Bunny Mum. Lots and lots of snuggles to little Sealy and to Bandit-bun too of course. Jane and Bunsxx

aawww poor little Sealy.. he has certainly been through alot already.
Glad he is doing well... long may it last :)

What an amazing story little Sealy has! Wow, only thought to survive a few months, but it ended up being a couple of years :D

You are very brave to keep fighting with him, and going for that surgery. I'm very glad he is doing better, and like Aspen'n'Company said, we are all rooting for him :wink:

xxx

I know he is. Twice, I was told that he would have died if I hadn't have nursed him so well. They say that if he gets ill again that we should put him to sleep. I just want him to get to his second birthday just to spite them all :D

I'll try, but he hasn't got a life expectancy of much more than two years. He's the product of inbreeding for a start, and we think that he carries a genetic fault that made him malformed and ill, but killed his siblings with that same trait.

He keeps hanging in there! What a little star. Sure he'll see two years old at this rate. Good on him, and you for your love and care

Sue

Back