• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bun has a lump

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
well got up this morning checked the buns (including munchkin who was fine ).got to blossom and rolo(on rehome page) and rolo looked strange . couldnt think what looked wrong at first but then noticed a lump under his chin. it just looked like a bit of swelling till i picked him out to have a closer look and when he held his head up i could see it was an actual lump. it was about as big as a golf ball. it definatly wasnt there at the weekend cos i groomed him and carried him too and from the run , unless it was much smaller then.

had him to vet and they have kept him in . says think it might be an abssess , probably caused by a problem with his teeth .

seems odd to me if thats the case as its directly beneath his chin not around either side where his back teeth are and he is still eating and acting normaly :?
well we ll see ...operation in morning . poor blossom doesnt understand where hes gone.

Angie

Poor Rolo. Sounds like he isn't in too much discomfort though. I had a bun with an incisor tooth root abscess. It came up very quickly and was in the middle of her chin rather than along her mandible. Hope Rolo is soon back home with you. Jane and Buns xx

This is exactly what happened to one of mine, they can come up so fast.Brian was as big as a golf ball right under his chin. Unfortunatly his had spread and he had to be pts. Best of luck at the vets. val :(

well rolos home and looking ok. hes very perky and eating fine.
it was an abssess and the vet has drained it ,it looks horrid but doesnt seem to be bothering him. he also had to burr his back teeth down as they were overgrown.. :? very strange as he didnt show any of the classic signs. he was still eating and drinking well and was very lively :shock: what a mystery.

oh well looks like this is going to be another long term pair of buns as not many people will take on a bun with a history of teeth probs. :cry:

by the way he eats loads and loads of hay every day and was well looked after before he came to us

Angie

Glad Rolo's ok. Sending snuggles.
Some bunnies just have problem teeth don't they? Am I right in thinking that the diet can help greatly, but will never really solve it?

well put rolo and blossom back together just now and they are sat grooming each other. the lump under rolos chin is still there although the vet said he had lanced it (the cuts about an inch long) it feels very hard . doesnt seem to be bothering him though . hes on baytrill 2 times a day and back to vets monday .

Back