• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

NEW HUTCH FOR CHESTER

Hi

I keep reading Chester(an angora) should have a hutch with a wire floor, which is great but I can't find anywhere to get one. :D

Does anyone know or do I have to adapt his hutch he has at the moment, which again I can manage bit what sort of wire.

It's all vey complicated :?

Will he be warm enough in the winter, do I still use straw??

Thanks
Donna

I personally wouldn't have a wire floor, think how uncomfy it would be for little bunny feet!

Is it because your rabbit is angora? :? If so, I can understand not using wood shavings cos of the extra work involved in the brushing, but not the reason for having a wire floor.

Kate

Rushie said:
I personally wouldn't have a wire floor, think how uncomfy it would be for little bunny feet!

Is it because your rabbit is angora? :? If so, I can understand not using wood shavings cos of the extra work involved in the brushing, but not the reason for having a wire floor.

Kate

i would agree you can find better think to house a rabbit on than wire! newspaper fr example, wood pellets rather than shavings, to keep warm and plastic bed or cuddle cup with vet bed at the bottom to keep then dry anything had got to be better than a wire floor his poor feet!

Hey - I'd avoid wire like the plague - you'd probably be setting yourself up for the bunny equivalent of bumblefoot :cry:

It is cruel to keep rabbits on wire. The only reason to do it is if you don't care about the rabbit but only about how easy it is to clean them out.

The best thing to keep an angora on would be vetbed, or newspaper with hay on top.

Where are you reading this? I'm honestly curious, as I've been reading up on rabbits for the last three weeks and most everything I've read has stated the exact opposite. It causes rabbit feet to become sore and they get inflamed. Not to mention, it is just down right uncomfortable. Can you imagine walking on something with small little squares where your feet and toes squeeze through to a certain degree??

What type of hutch does he/she have now? Does he/she not like it?

It's quite common practice in America to keep rabbits on wire floored cages, also many Angora breeders do for their show angoras to keep their coat in perfect condition. There is no need for a pet though. Definately avoid sawdust - paper based cat litter in a litter tray and something like vet bed on the floor is a good idea or if she's well litter trainned you don't really need anything on the floor at all. With pet angoras some owners trim the fur in places that are more likely to get knotted like around the bum/legs :)

It's not a case of not caring!

Thank you for all your replies, nearly all the sites I have been to for Angora rabbits say this is what they should have I have held out for a couple of years, trying all the options I can straw, hay, newspaper, giving him a litter tray with cat litter in.
I also can't get my head around him living on wire but can only go on the advice I was given.

I spend around 30-40 mins a day brushing Chester which some days he doesn't enjoy.So I'm not looking for an easy life with him.
Being told as I have Angora's are not pets they are show animals doesn't help I was sold him being told "he would need a LITTLE extra brushing" I didn't research angora's before I had him which I know was stupid, but I have him know & wouldn't part with him.

He is kept quite short - which I know some people don't agree with, I wanted to leave him a bit longer for the winter, hence trying to find a solution.
I asked my vet & emailed various sites about his feet getting sore & was told as he was an Angora they would be fine.

Thank you again for your thoughts,please be assured I will not be getting wire & would never do anything to cause harm to Chester!

Can someone tell me where I can get a vetbed from?

I know its not popular but pets at home do a big selection near where I live. Its quite expensive though. Maybe theres a webste

Tamsin said:
It's quite common practice in America to keep rabbits on wire floored cages, also many Angora breeders do for their show angoras to keep their coat in perfect condition. There is no need for a pet though. Definately avoid sawdust - paper based cat litter in a litter tray and something like vet bed on the floor is a good idea or if she's well litter trainned you don't really need anything on the floor at all. With pet angoras some owners trim the fur in places that are more likely to get knotted like around the bum/legs :)

There is no "need" to keep any rabbit on wire flooring, regardless of whether it is for showing or kept as a "pet".

It is cruel and shouldn't be done under any circumstances.

Jenny

angora/wire floor

show buns are kept on metal trays with lots of holes cut out of them like a sort of platform,this allows their droppings and wee to fall through away from their fur.A piece of wood like a platform can be given to allow a change of sitting area-.the nearest thing I can think of to describe the ones i've seen in shows is like an upturned cooking/ baking tray made out of metal.
I keep my angora/wooly mix on vetbed and newspaper with some hay.I have tried megazorb but even tho his fur is cut short on his underside it still attrats bits to it.I dont think it hurts him-I just dont like to see it.When he's outside it all blowsoff anyway. :lol:

angora/wire floor

show buns are kept on metal trays with lots of holes cut out of them like a sort of platform,this allows their droppings and wee to fall through away from their fur.A piece of wood like a platform can be given to allow a change of sitting area-.the nearest thing I can think of to describe the ones i've seen in shows is like an upturned cooking/ baking tray made out of metal.
I keep my angora/wooly mix on vetbed and newspaper with some hay.I have tried megazorb but even tho his fur is cut short on his underside it still attrats bits to it.I dont think it hurts him-I just dont like to see it.When he's outside it all blowsoff anyway. :lol:

Back