• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dicky tummy

desdi

Mama Doe
i've kept the new baby (10 week old atom) on the same diet (supa rabbit in the dark green bag) that he was raised on.

however, for the last two mornings there has been evidence of the him having the runs in the night.

all he has been given is the excel and loads of hay to munch (plus fresh water changed daily), and i've checked to ensure his bottom is clean.

i've seen him leave normal poops and these are not the raspberry ones they are meant to munch on.

my question is - should i be worried? there are plenty of regular poops and it just looks like it happens over night. he is off to meet the vet next monday but should i move the appointment forward?

(i prefer to take him to see the rabbit specalist who is only in on mondays and thursdays).

thanks guys.

Could it be the raspberry ones that he has trodden on in the night, so they don't look like the raspberry ones any more? They usually do the caecal ones at night. What time of day do you normally feed the bun? I find that Evo has the excess caecals overnight, if I feed him a bit late, maybe it's the same with yours?

As far as I know, proper bunny "runs" is very liquidy, but I'm sure someone can come along and give you better advice on this.

Would it have anything to do with the fibre content? There is slightly more fiber in the Juniou/Dwarf excel which is for bunnies up to about 6months i think. The dark green bag is more for older buns who have stopped growing (i think)

its definately not the raspberry ones as you can tell its been more runny than that from the way it lays on the hay in the litter.

i was keeping him on the dark green excel because that is what he is used to and i didnt want to change his diet.

typically being an over reactive mother i've managed to book him into the vet.

the annoying thing is i dont have the car today so hubby is having to do a 40 mile round trip to taxi *eeep*

not getting to see frances (fave vet) but her son tom.

will update on my return.

desdi said:
typically being an over reactive mother i've managed to book him into the vet.

the annoying thing is i dont have the car today so hubby is having to do a 40 mile round trip to taxi *eeep*

not getting to see frances (fave vet) but her son tom.

will update on my return.
..If 'Frances' is the Harcourt-Brown variety all I can say is lucky you!! Hope your wee bun's tum settles down. Methinks I'll move to Harrogate......!! Jane and Buns xx

yup thats the lady. ^_^

me and the buns are very lucky!

the nurse relayed the symptoms of atom to frances and she was the one who suggested bringing him in (she only does ops today which is why we are seeing tom).

its a wonderful family practice. mrs & mrs h-b and their son tom.

desdi said:
yup thats the lady. ^_^

me and the buns are very lucky!

Me types into Property Finder website and clicks on Harrogate........ :lol: :lol: Keep us posted as to how Atom gets on. Jane and Bunsxx

harrogate is a wonderful place. highly recommended.

just got back from seeing tom (also saw frances too)

although it may be nothing we have a course of boycox to give him to cover any possiblity of the coccidiosis parasite (i think that was the one).

i'm going to have to see if i can get a sample of any of the runny stuff so that they can check for eggs.

fingers crossed.

Awww, glad little Atom is back home. Did your MEGA-SUPERSTAR-WONDERFUL bunny vet suggest giving Atom any probiotics. In her textbook (AKA BUNNY BIBLE!!) Frances writes that even though evidence as to the benefits of probiotics is inconclusive they might help. I had a baby bun with coccidiosis a few years ago...her runny poo had a very distinct farm-yard sort of smell. :shock: Sorry, probably a bit too much information there.!! :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

heeh my superstar vet! thats cool ^_^

tom didn't mention probiotics - i've noticed that coming up a few times in the forum.

i didnt sniff the poop but if there was a distinct smell i'd expect it to be noticable.

i must get my mitts on the bunny bible!

rabbits511.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Jane and Bunsxx

desdi said:
you can tell she has the model vibe going on. ^_^
:shock: :shock: OH NO!! Given wot happened with Kate Moss could you ask Frances if she knows any bunster re-habs..... :lol: Haven't seen Felicity sniffing any strange white powder :shock: ....YET!! :lol: Jane and Bunsxx

Back