• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Houserabbits and solid wood flooring

vanessa

Warren Scout
I've got a housebunny and want to get solid wood flooring put in my living room, but a bit concerned whether bunny's nails are going to wreck it. Does anyone else have this flooring, if so does it get noticeably scratched with animals' nails? Could consider laminate as well if this is more hardwearing, does this get easily damaged does anyone know? I would put a few large rugs out for bunny to play on, but worried about splashing out on new flooring if it will be quickly ruined. Thanks

well we have had both - I would say to go with the solid wood as it looks better with age and with dents etc in it.

The laminate shows up every single scratch and is also realy noisy when they click over it :roll:

Our wooden floor was over a 100 years old and we had it stripped and then lightly stained a sort of pine colour - it never really showed any scratches and was not nearly as noisy as the laminate.

lol Pam

thanks, that is very helpful, will go with the solid wood flooring then as that's what I prefer anyway.

Like Pam says, the scratches add to the character! My rabbits and cats take great delight in doing hand-brake turns on the floor - the scratches do show in certain lights but at least with a solid floor you can sand and revarnish at some point. Big word of warning though - bunny pee can strip/discolour varnish, even five coats of "diamond hard" but again at least its repairable.

Back