• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Needed Rochdale

michey996

New Kit
Hi All

Just a quick one to introduce myself!

I am the proud owner of a new bun!! I am a bunny novice though!

I have a wee little boy about 10weeks old, he has now had his first jab is booked in for his second and as soon as possible will be having his little boy bits chopped off!

I have read a few posts on here saying not to go to P@H, could any one please reccommed where I can get my rabbit bits from please????? My hubby is a bit of an internet hater so cant really order from that!

Any advice much appreciated!

also my bun, called Murphy by the way, seems adament not to use his letter tray!

I have a huge hutch for him which we keep inside at the moment 5ft long by 3ft deep and 4 ft high!! He has shavings in his play bit and straw and hay in his bedroom. Am I doing this right? He has a wooden tunnel in his play bit and am trying to find him more toys at the mo!!!

Cheers Michelle

Personally I get most of my supplies either from my vet (pellets), a local farm shop (hay, bedding, fresh veg) or a local garden centre (toys etc).

I wouldnt bother spending your money on toys. In my experience, their faves are a cardboard box turned upside down, with a hole in each so they can get in and out, and an open telephone directory to rip up!

Sue

Thankyou!

Many thanks for the advice so far!! I will get the old telephone directory out and pop it in tonight!!!!!!

Any other tips and hints are very much appreciated!

to be honest i dont see why everyone has such a big thing about not shopping at P@H
ive had no problems with any of my local ones and ive bought many things from their such as hay and food and they always have offers so most of the stuff is cheaper than most places

I am not too sure either, if any one could give me a full run down that would be great.

When they first opened they used to sell a bit or horsey stuff, I never bought my bits from there as it was more expensive, thats the only reason that I have never really used them.

Hello. :D I think some people feel that PAH have a questionable grasp of the care and welfare of the small animals they sell. :( Although this is not ALWAYS the case I have found that the majority of 'front line' staff have little,if any knowledge about rabbit husbandry. :( There will always be the exception to prove the rule though!! I suppose I have a personal dislike of the sale of ANY animal from a Pet Shop. Although many years ago that is exactly where I obtained my first rabbits from!! Now I would ALWAYS say go to a rescue to get yourself a bun(preferably 2!!). I think some of the Rabbit Toys sold at PAH have improved...ie the 'natural' ones such as willow bark balls and sticks. But they still sell all the rubbish treats loaded with 'orrible E numbers and sugars...YUK!! I tend to go for the carboard box/old book type toys. That way your bun can have new things to play with and they wont mean you have to take out a second mortgage to provide them!! :D My buns also like the cardbord tube inside Kitchen Towels or Loo Rolls. I stuff some hay in one end and they love to throw it around. :roll: Can we see a piccie of Murphy P-L-E-A-S-E!! I have a Murphy bun too! :D Jane and Bunsxx

I have a piccie on my phone of Murphy bun but thats it at the mo! My hubby has taken the camera to work in Ireland for a couple of days!

I nearly have an empy kitchen roll and toilet roll so will stuff them later!

Will have to get my brain racking and use a bit of initiative for toys and such like then!!!!

Back