• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Foot sore

chibichan

Young Bun
When I was about to clip Iris's nails (I was out of town and they're really long now) I noticed that the pad on her back left foot was bleeding. It looked like some had dried aound the outside of it but it didn't look like it was falling off or anything. There was just blood coming from around the outside of the pad. I cleaned it, and didn't trim her nails because i didn't want her squirming and making it worse. I've never had this happen before and I don't know how serious it is. Her vet is 3 hours away (i'm at school) and don't think any vets around here even see small animals. Is thee anything I can do? Any like antibiotic cream to rub on it? Thanks for any advice!

Hi there. :D If the wound is actively still bleeding you need to sort that first. Get a clean pad ,not cotton wool cos it tends to get all gunked up in a wound, and apply pressure to her foot for a few mins. If the wound is deep you need to consider how it happened and if there is any chance that a foreign body, eg a splinter of glass, is still in the wound. This would need to be removed by a vet as it would cause your bun pain and infection would no doubt set in. Once the bleeding has stopped and if the wound is not deep you can gently bathe it in boiled/cooled water. Dont use any antiseptics/disinfectants for now. The bathing may set off bleeding again, if so apply a clean pressure pad again for a few mins. I would use clean towels as bedding for your bun til the wound scabs over as hay,wood-shavings etc are likely to cause problems. Put her hay in a rack or bowl to try to avoid the chance of her standing in it. You will need to keep a close eye on the wound for signs of infection...redness,swelling,extreme pain.unusually warm to touch. As long as your buns environment is as clean as poss and you keep a close check on wound healing bun should be ok. Some buns will tolerate a dressing on their foot but most just chew it off. Good Luck!! Jane and Buns xx

Back