• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ivermectin

sgprescue

Mama Doe
I was just shopping online for some more panacur and came accross this which might be of interest to some of you

http://www.hyperdrug.com/prodinfo.asp?number=IVE1

I know some people on here have had trouble getting ivermectin from their vets, on that website you can buy 10ml for £10.99 :wink: . I have used this company before without a problem, I got lots of things from their stand at Crufts :D

Cheryl

There are different forms of it. I use the injectable one but I give it orally, the dose is so small it is more accurate to work out the dose if given orally. Also less stress on the animal, works just as well.

Cheryl

I find it a bit worring telling people to buy medications like panacure and ivamecting etc: dont you worry that pet owners could easily be giving the wrong dosage to there pets ?. As a rescue i get all mine from my vet as she knows that i am used to doing the dosage. Pet owners are not as you can tell by some of there questions all that clued up on there rabbits, i would be worried that they might use these thing inaproprately or incorrectly. What do you think?. val

I can see your point, however I have heard of many vets giving incorrect dosages which worries me even more. I have on many occasions posted dosage of ivermec and panacur for anyone needing to use it. There are a lot of people on this forum who wish to worm their rabbits or guinea pigs and have been unable to purchase them from their vets. I would hope that anyone wanting to use them would ask for the dosage if they dont already know it

Cheryl

cheryl do you have to have a licence to inject or can i just be taught? i am assuming it can just be taught (for people with diabetes and such like) but am not sure?

Eve x

bunnylove said:
cheryl do you have to have a licence to inject or can i just be taught? i am assuming it can just be taught (for people with diabetes and such like) but am not sure?

Eve x
A Veterinary Nurse can teach you how to give injections. Jane and Bunsxx

....isnt it illegal to abminister ANY prescription only veterinary drugs to an animal without specific instructions from a qualified vet....?? I would be VERY WARY of buying any meds on-line for my buns......?? Jane and Bunsxx

JCO said:
....isnt it illegal to abminister ANY prescription only veterinary drugs to an animal without specific instructions from a qualified vet....?? I would be VERY WARY of buying any meds on-line for my buns......?? Jane and Bunsxx

Ivermectin isnt a prescription only drug, its a pharmacy only drug.

Cheryl

sgprescue said:
JCO said:

Cheryl
:? But I thought even Pharmacy controlled drugs could only be administered having been dispensed by a pharmasist or prescribed by a doctor/vet... I know saddlers/farmers can use Ivomec but are supposed to have obtained the necessary RCVS qualification first...?? :? Jane and Buns xx

JCO said:
sgprescue said:
JCO said:

Cheryl
:? But I thought even Pharmacy controlled drugs could only be administered having been dispensed by a pharmasist or prescribed by a doctor/vet... I know saddlers/farmers can use Ivomec but are supposed to have obtained the necessary RCVS qualification first...?? :? Jane and Buns xx

To be put on the PML (what ivermectin is classed as) list you need to have safe handling of veterinary medicines certificate (which I have had for the last 9 years). You need to register to go on the list to be able to sell PML drugs. Companies like Hyperdrug are qualified pharmacists and can dispense drugs like Ivermectin. You dont have to be qualified to buy and use it. They also sell prescription only drugs but you have to send them a prescription from your vet before they will dispense it.

Hope that make sense

Cheryl

bunnylove said:

Eve x

I inject Buster, I just collect my med and syringes from the vet and do it at home. It's easier to inject then to administer orally.

I would be concerned as to this drug due to the lack of information present. Ivermectin comes in two forms, Injectable and Pour on. Only the Injectable (I think, don't quote me) can be used orally. If this is indeed correct, you would not know, from this site, which one you were purchasing, and therefore could cause some serious damage.
I, for one, would want to know which I was buying before hand.
JMO

I inject Buster, I just collect my med and syringes from the vet and do it at home. It's easier to inject then to administer orally.

And a lot less stress for the bunny too than having to be carted to the vets :thumb:

Back