• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A few questions.

Aim

New Kit
If we add another bunnie to our household and keep him/her with Petals, will it change Petal's personality?? She is the sweetest little thing and loves people and cuddling. If we get another one for her to bond with, will it make her less people friendly? When she is loose for her free time, she follows my daughter and myself where ever we go. We don't want to lose her wonderful little personality.

And regarding littler training. Would putting something simple like newspaper in the main part of her cage and litter in her tray encourage her to use her litter tray more than the rest of the cage?? Some days it seems like she gets it, other days, not so much. She's still young, just 11 weeks. So is this something that comes with age??

Thanks so much. :)

hi

Petal's personality will most likely change when she gets a few months older anyway - teenage bunny syndrome!

Bunnies can be hard to sex as well - never trust a pet shop to do this as even vets get it wrong - You could always adopt an older, neutered boy or girl from a rescue, then you wouldn't have to worry about her getting pregnant, but they would need to be carefully introduced - don't ever just chuck them together.

She's bound to want to spend time with whoever she's bonded to though - at the moment that is you - you might even find that she gets jealous if another rabbit comes near you - it's possible she won't want to share you :wink:

Litter training an unspayed baby bunny is worth a try, but don't expect too much, and only use wood or paper based litter, not clay. If you put hay in the litter box for her to eat, as well as some absorbent litter, she will most likely sit in there to eat whilst she toilets - although my unspayed female drops currants everywhere and tiny spots of wee too - she's 2yrs old - it's a territory thing with older bunnies.

:D I was in the same position with Travis, he wasn't very impressed at the arrival of Treacle!!! But has since found out that ear licks upon demand are great!!! :roll:

He doesn't spend as much time with me as he used to, however he does still lick me on the nose when I'm stroking him (although he still refuses to lick treacle when she grooms him) so he obviously still thinks of me as his number one girl!! he seems a lot more chilled out now treacle's here to, more likely to flop out on the floor than go on mad binky runs!! But I do enjoy watching them lie together and her grooming him, and it's reassuring to know that he's got company when I'm not there - keeps tham out of too much mischief too!!! :roll:

buns.jpg

Like Elve said, your bunnies personality will most deffinatley change as she gets older. At about 5 or 6 months she will become a little bit more roudy, and she might not enjoy cuddling as much. Adding another rabbit might be good for Petals if you don't spend very much time with her. If she gets lonely she will then get bored, and she might start digging the carpet and chewing on furniture.

Regardless, spaying her would be the best thing for her. I have read in some places that %90 of all unspayed does get uterine cancer.

Yes, we plan on getting her spayed. Our vet won't do it before 6months, so we've got some time yet. If we do end up getting another bun, it won't be for a while. And I will most definitely be looking at the local shelters for a new friend for Petals if we decide to go that route.

If you dont mind me asking, where did you get Petals from? Just very curious (and nosey I must say :roll: )

She sounds like a very sweet bun. Like everyone else said, I wouldn't suggest getting another bun until after she is spayed. She is still quite young and needs time to adjust to her new life, and to your family. The more time you spend with her now, the more likely she will still be just as loving and friendly when you do decide to get her a friend.

Good luck with the little baby xxxx

Charliesangel said:
If you dont mind me asking, where did you get Petals from? Just very curious (and nosey I must say :roll: )

No, I don't mind at all. She's a rescue bun of sorts. A friend bought her, then decided they didn't want a rabbit afterall. :( She was orginally from a pet store, which is bad, I know. And she was young when they got her, only 6 weeks old. So, the poor little thing really needed us to love her, or at least this is what I keep telling myself.

Thanks for all the advice. :)

Back