• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits losing weight

nic99

Warren Scout
My two, Milo and Tess, have been put on a hay only diet because of Milo's reoccurring stasis. They have been on it for roughly 3 weeks now. I have been giving them a bowl full of dried grass, unlimited meadow hay, a few herbs and one peice of veg each day ie. a cabbage leaf or a couple of sprouts. I have noticed that both of them, but Milo especially, have lost weight. Milo's spine is now quite prominent when I stroke him and I can also feel his ribs. I can't see any bones sticking out but he is incredibly fluffy so that doesn't really count for anything.

Should I reintroduce the pellets even though it could encourage his stasis to come back? or can anyone reccomend any fattening, non-stasis inducing foods I can give to them to suppliment their hay? I don't want them to continue losing weight. (Milo is 11 months old and Tess is somewhere between 1 and 2)

Also they have been drinking quite a lot. What is the rough average amount they should be drinking and would a hay only diet be liable to increase water intake?

Thanks for any help,

Nicola xx

Hiya! Rabbits normally drink 50-100ml/kg/24 hours. The more fresh veggies/grass they have the less they drink. You could try re-introducing a very small amount of pellet feed to their diets. The indigestible fibre component of rabbit food is more important than the fermentable fibre. It is the indigestible fibre which promotes healthy gut motility. Grass and good quality hay are the best sources of indigestible fibre. As long as your buns continue to eat their hay/grass you should find that introducing a very small quantity of pellet feed is ok. What dried food were you feeding them before? I'd opt for the pellets rather than the 'cereal mixes' and ensure that the fibre content on the feed is at least 16%,preferably a bit more. Keep a close eye on your buns poops...size and quantity!! as you introduce the dried feed and make sure they are always chomping on their hay!! Jane and Buns xx :D

They were on science selective before, which they absolutely loved. His hay intake has vastly improved now he is off the pellets and his poos have turned a lovely golden colour, which is always nice. Between them they are probably drinking 450ml in 24 hrs, somedays more. Milo is (or was before he started losing weight) 1.4kg and Tess is probably about 2. Though I don't know for definate.

Could the weight loss and increased water intake signal an underlying problem? or is it most likely to be down to the diet change?

'ello again! :D Given that both your buns are young and you haven't mentioned that they appear 'unwell' in any way then I doubt there is anything to worry about. Polydipsia (drinking lots) and/or Polyurea (weeing lots) combined with significant weight loss can indecate a kidney problem but in a young otherwise well bun this is HIGHLY UNLIKELY. Perhaps you could try introducing some Science Selective again and monitor their poops/weight etc. You will be able to detect reduced gut motility if the poos become very small and less in quantity. If you are still really worried then perhaps you could have another word with your vet. He/she obviously gave good advice re diet when your bun had stasis so I am sure he/she would want to help you make any additional dietry changes now. Good Luck!! Jane and Buns xx

Thanks a lot for your help. I have bought one of those treat ball things off ebay so that I can reintroduce a small amount of pellets without them scoffing them all in one go but they will have to take the time to roll the ball around instead. I figured it may be kinder on his belly if he doesn't eat them all really quickly, as the greedy little things would undoubtedly do. :roll:

Back