• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit wetting herself when picked up

bunnies

Alpha Buck
My Beebie has always been a bit timid about being picked up but she is very good to be picked up.

But have noticed for a while that sometimes she wets herself, today i wanted to clip her nails and give her a general look over groom, eyes and bum. But she wet the floor and when I was carrying her back she wet herself and me.

Any suggestion why this is happening???

How old is the cutie?? The younger the rabbit ( in most cases) the more of a chance of accidents.

Most rabbits wet themselves when they are either very relaxed, or very scared. I'm guessing that since she does it when she is getting picked up, and when you were cliping her nails she is frightened.

Hope I helped :wink:

xxxx

Were off to the vets tomorrow as when i checked her today she was covered in urine :(

She had been better but something is wrong so off tomorrow, am worried about her.

Send kind wishes for her please.

I hope she is OK, I had a bun with incontinence, she was always soaked in her own urine ever since I rescued her. She was only 3 and the rescue centre had failed to spot that she had nerve damage to her lower back which was causing this :( is she hopping around ok? I really hope it's nothing serious. It might even be a urine infection, I have heard of buns wetting them selves due to this.

I had a rabbit that did that when she was picked up,i just figured that she'd worked out that she would be put down again quickly if she weed on the 2 foot!!! :shock: :lol:

Sparklefairy thanks for the reply she will be 3 next month, she is hoping around but have noticed that sometimes she drags her back feet whilst getting in and out of her litter tray.

What happened to your bun with this problem???

Will feel happier when we see the vet tomorrow, but am worried about what they will say and what happens next.

I can't offer much in the way of help I'm afraid, as thankfully all my buns have been healthy so far. I just wanted to send all my best wishes to you and your gorgeous Beebie for her speedy and full recovery.

AMETHYST

when my last rabbit, a male, thought I am chasing him, or trying to pick him up, and if he has some urine in his body, he would run, and spray all those urine across a very wide spread area.

Similar behaviour. Not identical, but same kind of deal

just got back, they have taken a urine sample and will ring me later today or tomorrow morning.

Beebie sprayed urine all over the vet when she started to examine her!!!!!! she had to change her green gown.

She said that her tummy was fine and had a feel of her and couldn`t find enything wrong, did say she has lost weight, back in May she was 2.42 kg now 1.94kg a bit worried on that as she does eat veg, hay readi grass and some SS.

Did mention that she is active with run attached to shed so 24hr access to run not just sitting in a hutch. But what foods are good o gain weight.

Anyway if no sign off anything in sample then possible x rays but will discuss that with me.

thank god she is insured :!:

Have put vasaline on her feet and around her rear end to keep the urine away from her skin, and put her back with bracken and left her tucking into a piece of granery toast.

thanks for the kind words, but am worried about her and have I done anything wrong or missed something. This weight issue is a worry to me i really didn`t realise she had loss weight as she is always eating, they don`t eat much SS but do eat hay, readi grass and veggies. :( :( :(

at least the vet could see what the problem was :lol:

but seriously i hope you find out soon what is happening...

don't be too hard on yourself about not noticing weight loss when you see a bunny or even a person everyday you don't see these things. it also is hard to know if somethings wrong when there's no obvious symptoms and now she's got symptoms she's at the vets :D

snuggles to beebie

What a worry for you - hope you find out whats wrong and that it has a simple solutionxx Sending positive vibes for Beebie and a hug for you :)

Has the wetness been since her spay?

This could be down to spay incontinence and will need to be treated with incurin which is a tablet used in female dogs.

If they are saying that it could be down to her spine this could also be contected to

Spondylosis of the lumbar spine
This is a fairly common disease of rabbits over 4 years of age, particularly females of medium to large breeds.

Cause: The vertebrae in the lumbar or back area gradually develop little bony protrusions that can eventually bridge to the adjacent vertebrae resulting in the fusion of the two. No one knows the exact reason this happens, but it is likely an aging process. It can be aggravated if a rabbit is carrying excess body weight (obese). This is not life threatening and can progress for years.

Signs: The fusing of the vertebrae decreases the flexibility of the spine and prevents the rabbit from being able to jump and run as easily. Before these bony "spurs" fuse completely, they can rub on each other and cause some pain. The pain may come and go dependent on things such as the weather and how much exercise the rabbit got the day before. Rabbits affected with this disease "shuffle" rather than hop and on some days can become very reluctant to move at all. As the disease progresses, it may be difficult for the rabbit to get in and out of the litter box and he may soil himself.

Diagnosis: The diagnosis is based on finding the bony changes on an x-ray of the spine.

Treatment: There is nothing that can stop the formation or progression of this disease. However, medications can be given to control pain and make the rabbit's life more comfortable. Medications used may include aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and corticosteroids. All these medications should be used with caution and only under a veterinarian's supervision. Some people have reported that their pet rabbits experienced relief with the use of acupuncture. Many also feel it is helpful to regularly massage or apply heat to the back. Gentle massage over the muscled areas of the back only (NEVER directly over the bone) can warm the area and help decrease muscle tightness. If your rabbit enjoys massage, or the application of warmth, then by all means use it. In addition, if the rabbit is obese, it is necessary to reduce the work load on the back by reducing the weight. As the disease progresses, it will be necessary to keep the hind quarters clean from urine and stool and to provide soft, absorbent bedding to prevent “bed sores” and pododermatitis (foot pad infections). Rabbits with any disease that causes weakness of the hind limbs will not be able to keep their ears clean by scratching. Check the ear canals at least once weekly for excess wax accumulation.

Sorry to have gone on a bit but I've had a doe with all these problems and it took a lot of time and effort to get her the care she needed as the vets kept saying she was being lazy.
As for her feet she will need fuciderm gel if they start to look bad or infected from being wet.

thanks rngpwelfare for your comments much appreicated, she will be 3 in january and was spayed back in the spring. She isn`t overweight infact she has lost weight since April was 2.42kg now 1.92kg :( .

She is active but have noticed that she does sometimes dragg her back feet getting into and out of litter tray, but does move around well and was hopping around the kitchen this morning.

My rabbit vet is away till next tues so had to see another vet who i don`t think is as knowledgeable on rabbits as Ginny!! but had to see someone today. Am waiting for urine results so should no more then.

Am slightly worried on her loss off weight, any suggestions on fatting foods for rabbits, and should I restrict her exersise??

She could have e-cuniculli. This is a parasitic infection which effects the nervous system. It is spread by spores in urine.
It is very common and most rabbits don't show any signs. If they do show signs these include incontinence and lack of co-ordination (eg her back legs when getting out of litter tray). Weight loss and head tilt is are common signs too.
If she does have this it would need to be treated by a long course of wormer (eg panacur). Her mate would need to be treated too.
Sometimes the symptoms go after treatment but sometimes they don't - but at least they won't get worse.
It is worth mentioning to the vet getting her tested for this.

Back