• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sleeping on a cold shed floor - Photo of NEW bed added

Loppyju

Mama Doe
I'm so confused about Scooby and Shadow wanting to sleep on a cold shed floor. They live in a wooden Playhouse and have Lino on the floor and so far have ignored...............
A plastic Box full of hay :roll:
A dog Bed with Hay and a Fleece Blanket :roll:
A Kiddies table with Carpet on top :roll:
A Fleece Blanket on the floor :roll:
A Bale of hay in a quilt cover open on top with a nice snug dip for them to lay in :roll:

What else can I try :? I'm so worried they will die from the cold :(

My bunnies do this too. They live in a custom built run, which is mainly covered now. They have two big hutches to choose from, full of lots of lovely warm bedding, but they much prefer to sleep on top of the hutches, or underneath them, on concrete :shock:
I've given up worrying now, they must sleep there by choice!

Have you tried a good old cardboard box?

With a wooden playhouse and lino on the floor, it's probably warm enough for them at the moment that they won't bother :)

Tam

I've just bought my bunnies those cat baskets which aren't just a base but covered over with a hole in the front for them to get into. I'll let you know if they pay any attention to them, or if they just wee on them, chew them and squash them :roll:

Mine have one - they throw the lid off though :lol: They do use both bits - the top as a step stool and occationally to nip inside if something scares them. The bottom is their litter tray/hay rack.

Tam

Oooh mine is all in one piece so no naughty bunnies throwing the lid off! It does have an inner cushion which they will no doubt drag out though :lol:

mine in a shed with a lino floor newspaper with shaving on top then a layer or straw and hay.

Its a very thick bed and have put banks round the edge of the shed so keeping out drafts and its deep enought for them to dig a little nest in.

They also have a hutch but prefer to sleep in the run outside, but at least I now i`ve tried.

This morning I caught two of my trio actually using their wooden sleeping box :D Moonlight was asleep on the floor by herself, while Sunshine and Maya were tucked up nice and snug. There was room for her too.
The funny thing was when I couldn't see them I assumed they had got stuck behind the guinea hutches again and was about to pull the shed about looking for them as I thought they never used the box :lol:

hi

Half my shed floor is carpeted with a cheap, flat weave, nursery type carpet (less edible??) - they prefer to lie on that than on the concrete, but maybe only because I've put it in their 'lounging spot'

Maa wouldn't use the vet bed I gave her to convalesce on - or the big litter box of hay - she prefers the hard, metal floor of the dog crate :roll:

Even though sophie is a house bun, she prefers sleeping on her metal floor in her crate with nothing covering it! :roll: I have tried everything as well... vet bed, towels, straw, hay... and the rest.. but she moves it all out of the way and lies on the bare floor! :roll: Now, I dont put anything down and she loves it! :lol:

Tamsin said:
Have you tried a good old cardboard box?

With a wooden playhouse and lino on the floor, it's probably warm enough for them at the moment that they won't bother :)

Tam

Yep the Ole Cardboard Box was the first thing I tried (forgot to list that one :oops: )!!!

My bunnies live in a large shed with run attached - give the choice of sleeping in their custom built bed at the end of the shed, which is stuffed full of hay and nice and cosy, or huddling together on the shed floor - they choose the shed floor!!! :roll: :lol:

I'm sooooooooo pleased it seems to be a bunny thing to sleep on the floor :p I'm gonna put some carpet down were they lay to take away the chill :wink:

Loppyju said:
I'm sooooooooo pleased it seems to be a bunny thing to sleep on the floor :p I'm gonna put some carpet down were they lay to take away the chill :wink:

Hi - my two have lino in a playhouse aswell, and often choose to sit on this rather than 'warmer' options.

Just a point on the carpet - I did this at first in the playhouse as I thought it would be warmer, and Robbie ate huge chunks of the carpet, and ended up with statis :roll: He was used to carpet in the house, so I didn't think he would eat it :roll: Hopefully yours isn't as mischevious :wink:

Ahh, I did wonder that about carpet! I though about putting some down in Sof's cage, but she too eats it in the house! I figured it wouldnt be a great idea for the little madam! :lol:

loopylop said:
Ahh, I did wonder that about carpet! I though about putting some down in Sof's cage, but she too eats it in the house! I figured it wouldnt be a great idea for the little madam! :lol:

The bizarre thing is Robbie doesn't touch the carpet in the house :roll: (thankfully :D ). Maybe he didn't like the colour we put in the playhouse - it was pink - maybe a bit girly for him :wink: :)

I don't think buns feel the cold the same way we do - even when I get home from work and bring them in the house, I'm freezing in the garden with about three layers of clothing on, but their ears are nice and toasty :D

Its good to hear other people experiencing the same thing :) I haven't been worried about my buns cos it's been quite mild but last night I put a cardboard box with a hole cut and stuffed it full of hay.

This morning I was glad I did it as it was minus 1 degrees (first time scraping the car since winter!) but they had gone in their box and just kicked _all_ the hay out of the box! *sigh*

I worry about eeyore more. He's so small and his fur doesn't feel as thick as twiggys. I guess they snuggle at night.

That's strange because one of ours gets all the hay out of the box too. I'm about to build a box later with the opening more near the top to try and make it harder for him to do this. Problem is when he pulls all the hay out not only does it noit leave a warm place for him and his girl to go, but his girl then pee's everywhere instead of the litter tray. :?

Sleeping on a cold shed floor- Photo of new bed

I've just finished cleaning out the other side of the play house and I have made them a bed with 2ft of hay in it :D They have had a look inside and wasn't that impressed :shock: but at least I know thay DO have a proper snuggly bed for the winter nights :wink:
Castlebed.jpg

Castlebed2.jpg

Back