PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Scent Glands

Toby
13-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Would cotton buds not be an easier why to clean out scent glands? I have just done Toby’s and I can see there is dirt deeper in. I cannot get to that with cotton wool.
Why do rabbits have scent glands anyway?

anon101
13-11-2005, 06:53 PM
I use cotton buds to clean my lots with. Bit of sterilised luke warm water and very gently clean them. Works a treat. :)

Louise

Phill
13-11-2005, 07:40 PM
I do the same as Louise Emma! they really do smell though!!!! *puke emotion needed*

Lizzie
13-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Do you mean the ones around their genitalia? It's just that I asked Jason, my rabbit-savvy vet, about these recently and he said that we shouldn't meddle in there at all! So I have to say I don't. :) :wink:

Jack's-Jane
13-11-2005, 08:20 PM
I tend to leave 'em alone too!! :D Unless there is an over-load of the waxy gunk :oops: .I use a cotton bud with a bit of vaseline on it to gently clean the gunk away. If I have to do one buns in a bonded pair then I do other buns too as it seems that if you clean out the scent glands the bun smells 'different' and there can be a bit of argy-bargy when you put cleaned glands bun back with their partner. :shock: :roll: :roll: Tends not to happen if you do both buns at the same time. :D Or perhaps I just have really odd bunsters...!! :lol: :lol: Jane and Buns xx

BevBunny
13-11-2005, 08:23 PM
I tend to agree with Lizzie and Jane, I never clean my buns scent glands and I assume that they do it themselves - I'd soon notice is there were any problems as we do bottom area checking at least once a day and obviously more in the summer.

Sweetie
14-11-2005, 02:26 PM
I cleaned Elvis`s out once as I noticed they were a tad mucky but other than that he kept them clean himself and Denzil is forever cleaning down there so no puke emoticon needed here folks :lol: :D