• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What are the first signs of Myxi?? :-( Help

shantel

Alpha Buck
I really hope I AM panicking over nothing, but could somebody tell me what the first signs of Myxi are? One of my bunnies, my Dutch bun looks very 'odd'. Yesterday I was looking at her thinking - something is not right, but I don't know what! Today, her whole body looks bigger than it would normally, including her head and her eyes look a bit puffy. I have 7 other bunnies all living together and I am now worried that if it is myxi, they will all get it. I can't phone the vets really being a Sunday so will phone and get her looked at tomorrow. Until then, I hope somebody may be able to help!!!!!!! :( I had to have a bunny pts yesterday because of snuffles, but I am actually wondering now if it was snuffles entirely?? (I have several bunneis with snuffles, but the symtoms aren't too bad at the moment)

Oh Shantel! is there any discharge or coughing?? And look out of nodule's on the base of the ears! Sending snuggles to all your bunny's XCXX

Oh dear what a worry for you. Is the bun you are particularly concerned about still eating/drinking/pooping?? I would suggest you SEPERATE him/her from the others until you know whats wrong.Have a look at your buns 'bits'...girlie or boy bits...Are they swollen?? Have you noticed a lot of mosquitos around their hutches lately? Are they vaccinated?? Is there a wild bun population nearby.Sorry for all the questions, but if the answer is NO to vaccination and yes to any of the others then you really do need to get your bun to a vet ASAP,especially if your bun is not eating. Lots of luck. Jane and Buns xx

No coughing or discharge, not sure about nodules will have a look. Bits look a little swollen but not sure if I am looking for symptoms now! Basically it's just the swelling - nothing else. She pooping and eating normally, perhaps a little quiet though. What else could this be if not myxi?? I've moved her out and put her on her own already. I've disinfected everything, and put some echinacea in all their water. :(

Could you not ring the emergency vets? Surely they would come out on a sunday?! :? Although I have no idea if they would as Ive never had to use them... it was just a thought!

Hope your buns get better soon! xxxx

Is she a long coated bun?? It has turned much colder now so she may be 'puffing' her coat out more. If she is eating/drinking/pooping then all you can do is keep a close eye on her and wait and see. Hopefully she will return to her normal self ,but I would still get the vet to check her over. Jane and Buns xx

Hi Shantel, so sorry you are having this worry :(
Firstly, may I ask when your bunny was last vaccinated for Myxo?
Even bunnies vaccinated twice yearly can get nodular Myxo, where nodules appear around head, face, and bottom..plus sometimes respiratory symptoms and nasal discharge.
If you bunny is not unwell as such, then just keep her comfortable and monitor until you can take her to the vets.
It is not an absolute medical emergency if your bunny is eating, and toileting okay, but she will need to be put on Baytril for about six weeks if it is Myxo (nodular or full blown Myxo). The earlier the Baytril is started the better the long term outlook.
The biggest risk is lung infection and then damage , so firstly get your vet to confirm what it is, then if Myxo, cover with Baytril before any lung problems develop.
Although isolating your bunny is good in one way, when we had an outbreak in our bunnies here (who were all vaccinated so did not get full blown Myxo) we kept groups together, as they are usually all exposed at the same time, so you have to weigh up stress to bunny of isolating him/ her from the group, and protecting the other bunnies.
You have to do what you personally feel is best for your own rabbit(s) :)
If rest of bunnies are vaccinated up to date (ie within past six months) then we would leave them together (unless the bunny with Myxo has nasal discharge and then we would isolate)..if bunnies are not vaccinated, you need to put the bunny with Myxo in a covered hutch, ie with a net curtain over to stop flying insects going in, and carrying Myxo to the rest.
De Flea the entire area every day for a week to try and prevent tranmission that way too.

Hope your poor bunny will be alright, keeping everything crossed it is not Myxo, but if it is, vaccinated bunnies usually survive it, but need careful husbandry for many weeks.

Thinking of you Shantel.
Love Adele and all the bunnies
XX

my buns started with puffy eyes and "bits" and then they got the other synptoms soon after. fingers crossed for your buns.

Daisy looked generally puffy at first, and her eyes looked redder than usual(she was REW), then they got gloopy, but that doesn't always happen. What convinced me it was myxi initially was that her ears got all thick. Her bits were swollen too. I separated her straight away - put her in my bathroom and was very careful about not transferring anything from her to the others.
She was with three others and none of them got it. Or any of my others. The ones that weren't vaccinated already I got done asap. And I kept strict quarantine between the groups for two weeks.
I was only being cautious when I separated her but I am so glad I did. If you suspect it you should do the same. It doesn't transfer rabbit to rabbit until it gets to the pneumonia stage apparently, but the more precautions the safer you are.
At least it is cold tonight so from now on insect transmission should reduce in likelihood.

I do hope that this is not myxie. Please do let us know how things are going. We are thinking of you at and are worried.

Janice

Awww shantel really hope it isnt myxi :(
The first thing i noticed with william was he has a pink nose and pink eye rims then over the next few days his privites were swollen and his eyes went puffy,He went straight to the vets but to begin with they said it was rabbit syvilis but he hadnt been near any other rabbits!
Then another vet said it was myxi which i thought it was to begin with
let us know what the vets says, im thinking if you

I have made an appointment for 5.30 - it's the earliest they could do.

She still looks the same as yesterday really, still swollen all over. :( I am wondering if it is myxi? Does it develop slowly like this, or would I be seeing other signs by now? I have also made an appointment for Twiglet at the same time too because of her snuffles, I fear she may be pts like Dooley was on Friday :cry: It's a case of just managing the snuffles and then making a decision when it gets too much and quality of life is no longer there. She's had it for ages - as have two of my other bunnies but they barely show any signs. It has come and gone but now it's much worse - probably due to the cold weather :?:

You would not believe the bad luck I have been having these past few weeks!!!! Firstly, one of my hamsters broke her leg and was pts (vets advice), then Jasper my first rabbit had kidney failure and was pts. :cry: My mouse - Fred, died of old age in his sleep and the next day I found Noodle dead in her bed - she was only 4 months old! :shock: I couldn't work out why as she had been perfectly healthy and happy the day before :cry: Cassie had her spay which took ages for her to get over, then Merlin had to be rushed into the vets for an op because of swallowing a stone, Milo had to go to the vets after being bitten by a wasp and having an allergic reaction :shock: A week later I found Dave slumped in the middle of his cage after what looked like a fall in the night and a broken neck/back!!! I then came down with a very nasty urine/kidney infection which put me in hospital - so as you can imagine having Dooley pts, and now poor Jessica I am starting to wonder if god has something against me?!?!?!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh yes - I forgot to add that Tigger has also decided to leave home!!!! Over the past few months he has come in less and less, and now I haven't seen him for 3 weeks again. What next I wonder, surely I have had enough bad luck to last a lifetime?!!! :eek:

OMG you are having a b***** awful time. Sending mega strength giving hugs and I so hope that your poorly buns can pull through. Your past few weeks kinda puts my decorating problems into perspective...ie they really dont matter at all. Do keep us posted. Jane and Bunsxx

what a horible time your having as for the cat if hes comes back lock him in for a while worked wonders with my little madam whos now refusing to spend too ling out side as its could

Myxi can develope differently - my vet told me that those with milder symptoms/slow onset had a better survival rate than those who had a rapid onset of symptoms. Are they vaccinated? That can effect how it presents too. Although vaccine isn't 100% effective at preventing if they do catch it then it does reduce the symptoms.

Tam

Their vaccinations are well out of date Tamsin :( Oh gosh, I really don't know what to do when I get to the vets if it is myxi. I guess the vet will advise but, on the otherhand I don't want her to suffer :cry:

From what I've read Myxi rabbits aren't in pain as such - most continue to eat. Obviously the swelling causes discomfort but the problem is secondary infections like pneamonia. It does take 4-6 weeks to recover - if they do recover and during that time they can look quite bad.

I don't know what to say :( I guess you can see how she is best and the vet can advise - you don't have to make the decision today, it's okay to try treating it and see how it goes if that's what you and the vet think would be best.

The rabbit I had with myxi lived next door to his brother - seperated by a bit of mesh. His brother never caught it though. It's much less contagious than VHD. I'd recommend hanging some sticky fly papers and double checking for fleas. Make sure your other pets are flea treated to.

Tam

Back