• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Limping rabbit.

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Hey all.

This isn't about Evo, but a friend's bunny. The bunny is a housebunny, about 12 weeks old.

They've noticed today that the bun is limping, and won't put any weight on his front left paw. All the claws are fine. The bun's leg goes twitchy when they tickle his shoulder, and the normally laid back bun bites when they touch it.

Any ideas what it could be, and whether a vet trip is in order ASAP.

Could well be an injury - they are so active and lively at that age and can easily hurt themselves - they don't even have to be out playing as they can hurt themselves in their cages :?
I would think that a vet trip is in order to make sure that bun hasn't broken anything - or put anything out of joint. Bun may also need some painkiller and be put on cage rest for a while - best to check bun over as it's always a worry when they start to limp.
He hasn't just had his VHD has he?

Rallybunny said:
Just found out he had his VHD yesterday. :D

Right then, we know what it is then :) Poor mite though - he still could need a bit of metacam :( He'll feel sore - just that an awful lot of vets don't realise that the VHD can cause this problem :? Is he eating and passing alright though 'cos if not then he would need a vet for some painkiller. I do wish vets would listen when they get told about the reactions some buns can get :roll: That way they could give a little bit of metacam just in case. Tell your friend that the limp should be gone by day three and send bun a snuggle from me :D

Rallybunny said:
Thanks Jay. :D I guess I may be known as the "sad rabbit woman" if people are calling me for bunny advice. :oops:

Well that's far better than some of the names we get called throughout our lives :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back