• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

WILBUR HAS BLOAT - it's Bloat!-Update he's much better!!!

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Right quick need help! I need to know what to do! i have never had this before small tummy aches and too much fur i can cope with but this no! What do i do!!!!! FAST

Right, is it wind do you think? What is he doing?
Get 2mls of Infacol into him straight away and gentle tummy rubs will be needed. He can have another 2mls of Infacol in an hour if needed.
Is he throwing himself around the floor trying to get his tummy comfortable?
Is he eating and pooping?
If he is in a lot of pain then you will need the vet. Listen to his tummy, are there gut sounds?

i think wind as his belly is very hard he's not doing anything just sitting. i havn't seen any poops yet as i've only just got in but am just about to temp him with a carrot. I can't hear any sounds from his belly

You say his tum is hard? Is it swollen? If it is very swollen then you will need to get him to a vet. If it is not swollen but hard then try the Infacol first and gentle tummy rubs - see if you can get him to move around a little as if it is a bad gas attack then the movement will also help disperse any wind.
Tempt him with little treats but keep a close eye on his poops. If he doesn't pass soon then again, he will need a vet. If the poops are small and hard then get him to move around, get more Infacol into him and also tempt him with wet greens - this will help move stuff. He needs to be kept hydrated so make sure you get him to drink as if he has a small blockage then the water will be needed to help soften it.
Keep us upated - poor little guy - sending lots of healing vibes to Wilbur - xxxxx

Thanks Jay, My mums just massarging now. His tum is very hard but not yet swollen. I will follow intructions! Andy (vet) is on call today so i know it's one of the vets that know about buns!!! Many Thanks Jay!

How is he Phill? Feeling better?

Just wanted wish you luck with all of the tummy rubbing, I know I would be freaking out in that situation (well, I freak out in any bunny medical situation :roll: :lol: )

Give Wilbur some kisses from he if he is feeling better xxxxx

keep us posted phil, have you tried liquid parafin? iif it doesnt right itself then a trip to the vet for metachloromide may do the trick!

Eve x

Ok we have had girgiling and he will drink by himself and i have got some SR and 2ml of Infacol down him. He still wont budge though just lying infront of the water bowel. His remaining ear has gone floppy?? is this anything to worry about????

still no improvment i have just rang the vets and the vet will ring me so will be off out shortly!

Phill said:
Ok we have had girgiling and he will drink by himself and i have got some SR and 2ml of Infacol down him. He still wont budge though just lying infront of the water bowel. His remaining ear has gone floppy?? is this anything to worry about????[/quote

you know him best phil if he hasnt ever been like this before then yes i would get him to the vets he may just need metacholomide but in my experience is he has had nothing unusal its normally the start of something! :cry:

Thanks Eve i really don't think he's well at all! Normally Wilbur is a very lively bunny and very difficult to pick up but he wont even shift when i go near him!!

Phill said:
Thanks Eve i really don't think he's well at all! Normally Wilbur is a very lively bunny and very difficult to pick up but he wont even shift when i go near him!!

yep sounds like stasis to me! :cry: sure he will be fine after a jab and ask for some liquid parafin it works a treat!

Here's hoping that the medication that the vets give him perk him up in record time. You are doing the right thing in getting him to the vet Phill, especially as you have never seen him like this before.

Thanks Jay, i call myself the paraniod pet owner as i am always at the vets or phoneing the vets but with this i have no idea what i am doing other the help you have all given me which is great, but i have in my life seen Wilbur just sit! ever! The vet still hasn't phoned yet but it wont be to long XX

Hey Phill! :wave:

Ludo had this last week. Like your baby he is normally very active, but he was just all hunched up in his cage not moving looking very sorry for himself. When I picked him up he was floppy & his lips & gums were really pale.

I took him to the vet & he gave him pain relief & a rehydration jab. He still wasn't right when we got home though.

I did a bit of research.
I mixed a little pineapple, juice probiotic & warm water together, filled a syringe with the liquid, put Ludo on his back on my lap & gave him the juice mixture. He drank it down with a little help. He liked the sweet taste.
While he was on my lap I gave him long, gentle, tummy massages. I repeated this combination every couple of hours until in the the early morning he started pooping & then eating.

Good luck & little bunny hugs to Wilbur.

xSarahx

ludo1.jpg

*****MR LUDO PUFF*****

Thanks Sarah Xx Just back from the vets and it's Bloat! He has no blockaged thankfully and vet has given him an injection of Metochlopromyde (sp) if he is no better tommorow we've to go back down at 2pm but we've to carry on with the massage and water and keep him warm!!!!

phil did he give you any recovery food stuff as that is good to get into them and the bio lapis in the water.

Elaine

if it is the green food you mix it with water and give him about 1 mil
if it is the powder that goes in the water then shove a packet in or syringe some into him

I also give mine dandelions

Elaine

Back