• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sore feet

my rabbit is getting old I can tell as he is loosing his fur getting skinnier and his fur is not as nice as it used to be. I brought him in as i thought it was too cold for him outside. when i brought him in I noticed he had sores on his feet so i have been rubbing cream on them every few hours and also have brought him some socks to wear as he looks in pain and doesnt want to put his feet on the floor. well...... his sores seem to have cleared up alot but now his feet are really swelling up and a really red. I have mmade a vets appointment for tuesday but is there anything I can do for him until then. (by the way this was the earliest appointmant i could get)

ah bless him,i would suggest if youve got him inside then give him something very deep and soft, so that hes not on a hard floor in his pen. There may be a chance that hes got abccesses develpoing on his feet so your right to get him to the vet as quick as you can. These are common when there is no hair cover left on the feet. I would cage rest him untill you get to the vet,in case he breaks the skin. :( val

I have covered his cage with newspaper as I thought sawdust would hurt his feet. Now I have also put an old pillow in there covered with a towel an his has got straight on it. He looks like a king lol :lol:

Pink_Princess_Linzi said:
my rabbit is getting old I can tell as he is loosing his fur getting skinnier and his fur is not as nice as it used to be. I brought him in as i thought it was too cold for him outside. when i brought him in I noticed he had sores on his feet so i have been rubbing cream on them every few hours and also have brought him some socks to wear as he looks in pain and doesnt want to put his feet on the floor. well...... his sores seem to have cleared up alot but now his feet are really swelling up and a really red. I have mmade a vets appointment for tuesday but is there anything I can do for him until then. (by the way this was the earliest appointmant i could get)

millie gets sore feet on her heels, these are called hocks- the baldish patches on your bunny are they reddy purple?

Hi! Squidgy got sore hocks, he's a house bunny, so he now has a jersey cotton duvet cover :roll: floded up as the bedding in his hutch, along with vet bed, and he has a cotton throw on the carpet where he usually sits!
Basically they just need something soft. Spoilt bunnies :roll: :wink:

well i booked an appointment for tuesday as I have said but when I got up this morning he looked in so much pain and was holding his back foot off the floor. (this is the worst foot) when I picked him up the scab that was on his foot had puss oozing out from the side. so im assuming its an absess but this is not the only one on his foot there was also a cist like lump on the corner of his heel. I bathed it and used hibiscrub to get the scab off and starting squeezing the pus out. But he looked in so much pain. (but he still managed to eat a hole carrot while i was doing it). I called the emergency vet because my mum said i would have to burst the cist to get the puss out but i didnt want to make it worse. but the vet said the same thing and just to try and get him an appointment tomorrow. I have burst the cist and it has gone down alot. and also the absess but this has still got white stuff in it that just wont come out. I have rapped it in bandage and made him comfortable. I am so worried to take him to the vets as he is quite old and im worried they will want to pts. But he hasnt given up yet and i know he wasnts to live so i am hoping there is something they can do.
Hope i havent put anyone off there sunday dinners lol

Im sure there is lots they can do. I have problems with my silky bunnys feet: she is a rex which is pretty much the reason why. she lives on fluffy stuff vet bed and newspaper with a fleecy thing under to make the ground softer.

Last time her feet flared up she was on antibiotics and this time has a cream for her feet twice a day which is a sort of steriod. I have to keep either plasters or the current trial is tubigrip bandage on her feet. next stop babysocks!!!!

Get him to the vet as soon as possible and keep him on something really soft eg pillow/duvet/vetbed and stick big plasters on his feet just not too tight.

try putting Kamilosan on it is brilliant it is for humans but does for all sorts and i have used it for rabbits and piggies if they have sores and they heal up

Elaine

Please be guided by what the vet recomends, sorry i was right about the prognosis :( . As you know this is very very painfull for your rabbit and its on both feet. These are notorious to clear if at all in the position they are in.best of luck for tuesday. val

just to let evryone know that I took my bunny to the vets on monday but they said that the absess had gone into the bone or something. Anyway they said that there was absolutly(sp) nothing they could do as he was such an old boy. So I had to make the decision to put my boy out of pain and have him pts.

Goodnight and god bless my little man. Im sorry and I love you Gypsy xxx

So sorry to here that, remember that you gave him a long and happy life.I admire you for knowing when to call it a day for him, may he rest in peace. val :cry:

Back