• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Messy Hutch?

Joo & Phoebo

Young Bun
Do your buns mess up their hutches???
Phoebo has started mixing all his hay and sawdust together in one big giant mess! it also gets stuck all down his ladder and he looks like he'd have to fight his way through it to get back downstairs!!!
I'm concerned this means he's not eating as much hay as he probably should be!
Any tips on what I can do about this? Maybe I'm putting too much sawdust / hay in?

Julie x

I think they just arrange them how they want them, which is often a bit different to how we think it should be :lol:

If you're concerned about him not eating his hay, I'd suggest getting a hay rack or something similar so it keeps it clear of the floor and you can see exactly how much of it is being munched.

Perhaps try swapping the sawdust for something a bit bigger like wood shavings? These tend to be less dusty and might be easier to keep separate from the hay - I think sawdust can also sometimes get into their little eyes :cry:

But yeah I make little Dudley's house all just so, and he almost rolls his eyes at me and then sprawls out over it and pushes it all about. He seems to think that he knows better than I do where things should be :lol:

Sorry, I meant woodshavings!!!
and yes you could be right about them making it like 'their home' - I used to put woodshavings on a part of Phoebo's hutch and within minutes he'd have kicked them aside - he seems to sit in that spot a lot of the time and cleans himself there - would explain it!

Thanks, Julie xxx

hi

Benny's hutch is totally bare - he has a huge plastic underbed box in the 'bedroom' with his eating hay in and lots of newspaper and megazorb - seems fine as it's dry and cosy there - He spends all day sitting on the patio in a gale so I guess anything would seem cosier than that!

Definitely. Both bunnies I've had seem to have a redecorate session as soon as I've finished sorting it out. Kahlo's current thing is to screw her vetbed up in a ball in the corner of her cage and then fall fast asleep in her litter tray.... You go to bed and think she looks all peaceful fast asleep on her vetbed, and then in the morning she's done the same again. Its like she's had a fight with the vetbed and gone to sleep on the couch!

Oh I can completely sympathise - Charlie bun has recently taken to digging in his litter tray so much so that the cage is covered in litter but the tray is empty, this means that they have both now stopped weeing and pooping in the litter tray and just do it all over the place. Therefore I've had to start lining their dog crate with news paper which they now shred!

So, 2 months ago they always had a lovely clean tidy cage, and now it just constantly looks like a bomb site.

Charlie has now taken to digging in the litter tray outside the dog crate - its the bottom of a ferplast cage so its huge, so thats a lot of litter to throw all around the lounge! :shock:

i ve cleaned out gem one of our rescues tonight . i bet when i look in the morning its just as bad again. she wees and poos every where and eats everything including her shavings

Bindi is the same.

I put a layer of newspaper at the bottom of Bindi bedding, for my own sake. And Bindi pulls it up and shreds it.

When i first got Bindi she didn't seem to be eating much hay, mainly because after she weed on it she didn't want it!!!

I now have her a hay rack and she loves her hay. And as for bedding the cheapest thing out there that comes by the shredder load. She loves burrowing into the shredded paper, we give her!!

She still makes a BIG mess of her hutch, but mum says shes like. Shes happy in her mess.

Gracie and animals x

I just posted about Pips redesigning tendencies - he hopeless - as soon as the clean stuffs in. he grunts away and turfs it all out and covers everything with hay and woodshavings - little monster :love:

My Pepper loves to take his newspaper out of his hutch to read in his litter tray. Once its been read it looks like he saves the favourite bits and then decimates the rest :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bomb site isn't the right word for his hutch..... think he needs a good woman to sort it out :lol: :lol:

Back