• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do your buns pant???!!!

Joo & Phoebo

Young Bun
When Phoebo's out playing, he'll suddenly just stop and lay out really stretched, but he pants so much! Well I don't know if its panting but you can tell / see he's breathing really heavily!

Is this normal???

Julie x

Its normal if his breathing returns to normal after 3 or 4 mins and as long as he is not 'mouth breathing'. Buns often flop out full stretch and their respiration increases greatly after lots of running around. But if their respiration takes a long time to return to normal a trip to the vet is a good idea. Mouth breathing in a bun is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY :shock: and immediate treatment is essential. Sounds like your bun is just a bit out of puff after having lots of fun though!! :D Jane and Buns xx

Yup, mine pant through their mouths sometimes after a good run about! Especially after a race round! :lol:
One scary time I was worried about panting was when we moved house. Henry (castor rex in my avatar) was in the van and was panting like anything, of course we had to move house on one of the hottest days of the year and had to drive 80 miles to our new house. He wouldn't drink or anything, so I kept smearing him with cool water and blowing on him... after about an hour at our new house, he'd recovered enough. I was so scared I was going to lose him. :cry:
At this time of year, I'd say it's not something to worry alot about, but in the summer, it's something that I'd keep an eye on.

Back