• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spooked bunny!

Inimical Me

Wise Old Thumper
Today I let Fidget out for a run. I was feeling terrible, as I haven't had time to let her out of her cage much recently. So, instead of giving her just my room to run around, I let her out in the hall. At first she was inquisitive, maybe a little unusually quiet. Then for some reason, she got majorly spooked, and hid behind me. Then she'd tear around the hall, hide on the bookcase, run back behind me, back to the bookcase. She did this over and over again. When I stood up to try and get her to come to me (when I stand she follows me), she was running around the room like an insane thing, so wide-eyed the whites were showing. I've never seen her move so fast (and she's always speedy), or heard her make so much noice doing it. She ran up the stairs, then launched herself back down the stairs, and stopped still at the bottom. That's when she let me pick her up (without any struggle at all - also unusual). I took her into my room (at the moment a sea of wires she'd love to chew usually) and put her on my bed, she threw herself off and hid behind the couch. Then she darted into a little cardboard tunnel/house I made for her about 6 weeks ago, that she has never shown any interest in, and she's been hidden there for the past ten minutes.

It wouldn't susprise me if Daisy acted like this, she's a naturally timid little thing, but Fidget is generally fearless...she was nowhere particularly unusual. She's been introduced to other parts of the house like that with no problems whatsoever. I'm at a loss as to what it could have been that frightened her so much. She's poking her head out of her little house now, then hiding again, and she keeps thumping. It's worrying me, I've never heard her thump, or run around doing anything but binkies! Argh, what on earth has scared her this much? Daisy doesn't seem bothered at all. She's lounging in her cage without a care.

How strange - no idea what it could be??? maybe its because she isn't used to being any where other then her room??

Or maybe it was a ghost :shock:

Every now and again Phoebo will act spooked - maybe she heard a funny noise that you didn't? or just sensed something that she didn't like?
Phoebo can tell when our neighbours dog is in the garden and he just stands still!

Sorry Can't help much

Julie x

bump (free range bunny so no problems with any rooms) will sometimes just thump and freak out for no reason that we can tell.

somtimes it will happen in the middle of the night and it wakes us up. we go down to check on her and she wont let us near her.

its really scary when they freak out.

I know this may sound a bit weird - but my bunny seems to get spooked when he smells something burnt or similar - like toast or if I have food under the grill. I think that he also knows that he should not be trying to chew wires as he will quickly dash away if you catch him, and then freeze on the spot with a look on his face which says 'I've been naughty and you're going to tell me off'. :) :)

actually alfie freaked out the other evening, he thumped and ran around like a maniac...it was my shadow thet freaked him!! (just remembered that!)

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's so stressful! I know they tend to get spooked over stuff we can't see or hear (silly humans ;)), but it was just so unlike her.

I was thinking maybe it was because my housemate was stood on the stairs, hanging over the bannister. Buns don't have the best eyesight and something looming over them probably isn't the most comforting experience when you're a prey animal. Then again, perhaps she was just having a mad half hour :lol: .

I know this might sound daft but is it windy where you are at the moment?
We find our Jetty goes daft and even walks round like Aliens have landed when it gets very windy and at the same time our little gerbil Treacle starts jumping in the air, so does my Mum and Dads cat Callum.

Back