• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Intestinal blockage

Soofsoof

Young Bun
Hi there, you may remember I joined a few weeks ago, when I posted a msg that my buns had been put on a hay only diet by the vet, because of diarrhoea, but I was worried as they hardly ate it. Since then things have really gone bad. Last week I was getting worried as Buttered Bun stopped pooing properly and looked really miserable. I took him to the vet and he took an xray, and it shows that my bun has been eating his litter. He was obviously so bored with the hay that he ended up trying stones. I was using cat litter, I didnt know this was not recommended, but they have never eaten it before, and obviously only did cos there was only the hay. His poor intestine is really blocked up with the litter, old nasty food, and gas. :(

If you remember I live in Spain, where buns are not normally kept as pets, so my vet is very inexperienced with buns, and never seen a bun with this problem. He is giving him something to try and get his intestine moving, something else for the awful gurgling gas that can now be heard, and something for the pain. Thankfully Buttered is now happily eating lots of fresh veggies as well as the hay, which he wasnt allowed before. But nothing is coming out the other end, well just a few little tiny poos.

Does anyone know what his chances are? And how long would it take for the poos to start being normal again if it does work?

Keep everything crossed for my poor bunny. Thanks guys.

Sue

Hi Sue! So sorry to hear you've been having problems, you must feel very helpless not being able to get to a good bunny vet. I don't know realistically what his chances are, but the fact that he is eating and pooing (even if his poos are small) is a good sign as it shows that his gut is still moving. I'm sure I've read about some natural things you can give your bunny to help his gut to flow nicely, I'm not sure what they are though. Hopefully someone with some experience will be able to help more.

Best wishes to you and your little bun. Please do keep us posted of how he is doing.

Alison xx

Sorry to hear of your trouble, i would give him anything you can just to get him to eat. Infacol or ordenery barcarbanate of soda is good to help dissperse the gases. You could try pinapple juice as well. If hes doing little poos then hopefully by the next day it should be a lot better. If its not then go back to the vet. Some vets will try an enima but if your buns tummy is very compacted then its not a good idea. I wouldnt do any tummy massarge either because of the severity of the blockage theres a danger og a rupture.Hope all is well by tommorow. val

Hiya. Oh dear your poor bun. You could also give him a couple of mls of liquid paraffin (the 'old fashioned' human laxative) twice a day to try to lubricate the blockage. If all you have is Olive Oil try that. It is important that your bun has ONGOING gut motility medication and pain relief until he is passing normal poops. So if he is still only passing very small poops,even if he is eating, I'd go back to the vet again.As others have said the fact that he has started to eat is a good sign. Keeping his fluid intake up will help too so the fact he's eating veggies is great. Blimey, you must have felt so frightened for him. Sending lots of 'Get Well' vibes to him. Keep us posted!! Jane and Buns xx

Your vet should be treating with:

Metoclompramide (Reglan) @ 0.5mg/kg - the current drug for use in gut stasis Cisapride (Propulsid) is better but no longer available in the UK (don't know about Spain). But the contra-indications state: Do not use if obstruction - may cause rupture! Metoclopramide stimulates movement of the *upper* GI tract through a direct effect on dopamine receptors in the brain. It reduces nausea, slows/soothes the stomach and intestine, and improves the absorption of other oral medications.

Along with Metacam (2 drops per kilo) as a pain killer.

Use anything you can to tempt your bunny to eat (freshly picked grass and dandilions are favourites). Obviously high fibre like grass and hay is the best to get the gut moving again!

What type of cat litter was it? Compressed sawdust pellets are ok but any form of clay or clumping litter is a strict no-no!

Wishing your bunny lots of luck!

Caz

I was about the post the exact same thing as Caz said on the Metoclompramide.

My rabbit had blockage problem due to the total luck of hay (Fiber) in the past years, and each time, it's Metoclompramide that makes the difference.

It should be use w/ 3 cc thru the mouth every 8 hr. for say 5 - 7 days until most of the stomach movement noise disappear.

Firstly thanks to everyone for your replies.

I am encouraged cos Buttered seems to have a good appetite and is happily munching on his fresh veggies. He is passing just a couple of little poos...

I feel so guilty that I gave my bunnies cat litter and caused the problem, on the other hand at least I am doing my best for him now. And they´ve always had the cat litter without problem, I think it was being put on hay only that made him tuck into the litter in despair.

I was the one who diagnosed him, not the vet! After doing research on the net I found the article GI Stasis the Silent Killer and persuaded the vet that this was what it was. On this basis, he has followed the meds in that article.... cisapride, which is available in spain and he is also on simethicone. both by mouth, and a painkiller dont know what by injection.

I was doing abdominal massage but am now a bit scared of that, and also the Cidapride in case he gets a rupture.

I think I have upset the vet by telling him what was wrong, and basically having an argument in the first place. Sometimes I do wish i still lived in England (well, not sometimes, this is the first and only time!) where the vets are more experienced with buns. Thanks for the idea of metoclopramide but I think the vet is gonna hate me if I keep telling him what to try. On the other hand I could get it myself at the pharmacy... you can buy everything over the counter here!

Olive oil sounds a good idea.

Anyway I have to do the meds myself this weekend as the vets is shut except emergencies... Buttered is really good if I put him on his back in my lap and so I hope I can get him to open his mouth and swallow the meds Any other tips for giving meds on my own?

The easiest way i find is what uve done and thats upside down on your lap or in your arms so youve a better grip and then push the syringe into the corner of the mouth and squirt in. Youve done a good job with your vet never be afraid to point something out if you are dealing with one that dosent know rabbits. val

Thanks Val!

Well, I managed the meds, no problem really. And got 2mls of olive oil down him too!

Hes back at the vet tomorrow I think they want to take a new x ray to see if anything is moving.

hi

good luck with your bunny - Pepsi had a blockage I believe (using the internet to diagnose him like you, even though I'm in England!) When I asked the vet if it was bad to give a gut stimulant when there was a blockage in the gut, ie: it might burst the gut - she said 'well they never survive surgery on the gut so we treat them all the same' In other words - if he has a blockage this may kill him, but we can't do anything else :?

As your bunny has a good appetite at the mo, I don't think he can have a blockage - if he did have then he would feel full, because the gas builds up - Pepsi's chest was swollen like a balloon, with gas :(

Most important thing is to keep him hydrated with plenty of fluids, to let the gut contents keep on chugging through OK - I would guess veg is giving him lots of moisture, but be aware that if you give him oil or kittymalt - greasy type stuff, it may coat the gut contents so that they can't absorb as much water, so go easy on the oily treatments in my opinion.

I had a rabbit go into stasis a couple of days ago, and after what happened to Pepsi I decided against gut stimulants and force feeding (and vets), and concentrated on getting water into her - I mixed 100ml water with a crushed, raspberry rennie rapize tablet (for the gas) and half a soluble asprin (for the pain) - I only got 2tsp into her but she loved the taste and was fine again after an hour, even though she'd been without food or water for 18 hours.

I also put a tsp of probiotic in the water - 'friendly' bacteria - your vet or pharmacy should be able to sell you some - mine was 'avipro'

Hope he's getting better :)

I hope your bunny is feeling better soon Sue. Sending lots of healing vibes.

Slightly off topic but is Calpol just as good pain relief as Aspirin in Rabbits?

I'm a bit wary of using Aspirin because of the thinning blood factor. :?

Louise

The only way to upset a vet who clearly doesn't know much is not to pay him.

If he won't give you the metoclompramide, go to your doctor and ask for it. You must have this as soon as possible.

It's the exact same for human and for pet. 5mg/5ml

Ask your family doctor to prescribe to you. 100 ml will do. They just pour it out of the bottle. In fact, that's how I get my refill. As each time I see my vet, she charges $70, but to see my doctor, health care pay for it, totally free. I get a piece of paper from the doctor's office, go to the drug store, and that's it.

:D Think Buttered might be getting better at last. No change this morning or afternoon, but have just come home to find a tray with lots of strange shaped poos in it, all matted with fur! :D

He's still gurgling away with the gas, so we arent there yet, but things are looking up. Hooray!

Sounds like whatever it was started to be pushed through. Can you get hold of any Kittymalt in Spain? Or similar......it's a hairball remedy for cats. A lot of people use this when their bunny is moulting to keep and fur that the the bunny has ingested moving.

I am sure he has cleared some of the blockage, tonight the poos are very different, now tiny little round ones but normal colour and nothing like yesterdays! Oh I do hope so. He's been so good with taking his medicine. I do feel quite proud of myself.

I've not heard of Kittymalt, but I will look for it. I am coming back to England next weekend to see my family and friends, so have made a shopping list based on all the really helpful suggestions on this forum! Thanks everyone.

A question: how long should I keep giving him his cisparide and simethicone? Thanks again

Soofsoof said:
I am coming back to England next weekend to see my family and friends, so have made a shopping list based on all the really helpful suggestions on this forum!
Hiya Soofsoof, I've just spent a year in Switzerland. If you're anything like me, in addition to the forum suggestions here, your shopping list is going to include such luxuries as PG tips, custard powder, marmite, gravy granules and original source shower gels! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS Glad your bunny seems to be getting better, must be a big relief!

If you're anything like me, in addition to the forum suggestions here, your shopping list is going to include such luxuries as PG tips, custard powder, marmite, gravy granules and original source shower gels!
No, I can get all them here! I live in the Costa del Sol, very British! The only thing I miss is clothes that fit! Spanish women are so petite and ahem, I am not!!! :lol:

Ooooh you're so lucky! It was virtually impossible to get those things where we were, we imported so much PG over the year you could probably have filled a whole suitcase with it :lol: :lol:

I couldn't get clothes to fit either; Swiss women are all mega-tall (as demonstrated when I have to stand on tiptoes to use a cashpoint!) so when trousers fit round the waist, there is about 6" of material hanging off the bottom! And their feet are uber-narrow!

Back