• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Penicilin

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
Has anybody had their bun on penicillin for a while and noticed any side effects with it?

I use Duphapen (a safe form of penicillin), Lucy and Winston have been on and off it for months and had no side effects.

Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl, its just if you see me other post I've got a poorly bun, Misty has had traces of blood in his urine and even though the vet hasn't said anything I just wondered if their could be a connection.

Poor Misty. Has your vet run a full blood profile-haematology and biochemistrry? If he were mine I would want to know his renal function was ok given the weight-loss and haematuria.Most vets are able to take a blood sample from a bun without the need for a GA.There are reports of some types of penicillin being nephrotoxic(ie can cause kidney damage), namely penacillamine,but your vet should be aware of this. Hope Misty will soon be back to full health. Poor man has had a tricky time. Jane and Buns xx

I have to take him back on Monday and that is when we will decide on the route of tests as he really has gone back to being himself and the trace of blood really shocked me but my vet wasn't actually worried about it and I would trust her with my life. If their is any trace at all from now till Monday then he will be going straight in.

Fern was on penicillin for months and months cos of her teeth/eyes, it was pediatirc septrin which is that banana flavour medicine we used to have as children :D

I didn't notice any side effects at all.

Hope Mitsy gets better soon.

Zeus was on injected penicllin for three months and didn't have any side-effects like that but he did go off his food a bit even with the probiotic and metacam throughout!

Caz

BevBunny said:
pediatirc septrin which is that banana flavour medicine we used to have as children :D

Watch out for this stuff as it can cause huge problems in humans and animals. This stuff almost killed me when I was younger, and my GP says it affects 2 in 5 people.

Bev Bunny wrote
Fern was on penicillin for months and months cos of her teeth/eyes, it was pediatirc septrin which is that banana flavour medicine we used to have as children

Septrin is an antibiotic which comes from a different group of antibiotics which is unrelated to penicilin, it can be given to people who are allergic to the penicilin group of medicines.

Janice

Back