• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites (again!)

maxbun

Warren Scout
Max is currently being treated for Mites - he has had 2 ivomec inections with a 3rd due on Friday. However, the white 'dandruff' seems to be getting worse - the vet told me to comb him every day to remove all the dead hair which I've been doing, but his skin seems really dry and flaky. Can anybody tell me whether this is normal after having mites or whether it could be something else. Thanks a lot.
Jane

when Twinkle had mites neither the injections nor the shampooing seemed to help - she was like a walking snowstorm :shock:

I just kept brushing her regularly (every day) and sprayed her with tee tree and lavender (diluted in water) which seemed to do the trick.

Once a week I spray her with the a cheap mite spray I got in the pet shop and to be honest that has kept her smelling fresh and mite free.

lol Pam

Lace had a lot of flakes in her fur when I got her. The vet looked at them and said it wasn't mites but was just poor condition. And she was a mess, poor girlie. Grooming and an improved diet have got rid of most of them.

Before you give him a bath to remove the flaky skin, its a good idea to use some baby oil on the skin. Put quite a lot on it should soak in. Leave it on for a day then a nice bath in medicated small animal shampoo. val

I have used Gorgeous Guineas oil soak for mites on Zeus to relieve the itching as well as a course of ivomec.

I then rinsed it off with a small animal medicated shampoo!

This helped to sooth the skin while the injections killed off the mites.

Caz

Back