• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!maggots/lice?UPDATE

leesabuntine

Warren Scout
HI All
I have just noticed that my bunny Peppa has a circular sore which looks like it tunnels through her skin,and white long things beside it. :shock:
I have only had her 3 weeks and 5 days.
I havent noticed her being itchy or anything but thought i would ask for some advice.
I will take her to vet tomorrow or when the first apt is.
Will try persuade hubby to help me add a piccy......im all itchy now :shock:

Leesa.
PS she is an inside bun.She had her HVD jab last week and myxi 2 weeks b4...if that helps???

Hi Leesa.

If your rabbit has got maggots in a wound, you will require immediate veterinary attention. Rabbits who are infected with maggots are usually very unwell and shocked. They are at high risk of severe infection and will be in pain.

Do not try and wash these maggots off, you will only put your rabbit into shock and end up with a very matted rabbit which will be difficult to start cleaning up the wound, use either gloves or tweezers.

Maggots look like very small long wrigling cigars which are usually very light in colour.

Janice

Are the white long things moving? Is her skin broken? If it's maggots it's VERY serious, they eat healthy flesh basically. I lost Nougat to this over the summer, and it all happened incredibly quickly.
Whatever it is, I would pick the white things off with tweezers, but it's definitely a vet situation asap if you can see anything inside the sore.

If it is maggots (fly strike) then it needs emergency vet trip - maggots can do alot of damage in just a few hours. They literally eat the rabbit - so the longer they are there the more damage they do.

As Janice says you can try removing them with tweezers - it will help to clip the fur away with sissors first.

Tam

Hiya Leesa, if you could persuade your hubby to help you add a picture that would be very useful. I don't want to worry you unnecessarily but if this is maggots, this is a VERY serious situation and needs veterinary attention tonight otherwise there is a very high chance that she will not make it, and in any case will be in terrible pain by the morning as maggots literally eat them alive. I really hope it isn't that though, but a picture would definitely help us to try and see.

Thanks for all the replies.
Have had another look with a torch and the white bits arent moving and are not maggots.I have had a look at images of them and they definetly dont look like that.I used a flea comb and they look like bits of skin.The wound itself isnt broken either....as hubby says im paranoid !

I am still concerned about this wound Peppa has and where from. Was wondering if it came from her vaccination? I will get her seen by my vet asap tomorrow,i live accross the road from it anyway and i have to get an appointment for my cat also.I think the vet cringes everytime she sees me...lol
PHEW....thought my bunny was in serious danger!!!
Ive only had her 3 and a half weeks...shes so lovely!
Still got to get her speyed and then i can try to bond her to my neutered male George.

Thankyou again for all your replies very quickly!!
Will update at what my vet says tomorrow.
a very tired and paranoid bunny mum
leesa.

I'll second the phew :D Is it where she got the jab? You sometimes get a small lump or scab where that is.

Tam

Oh, thank goodness!! And welcome to the world of paranoid bunny mums :wink: :D Looking forward to hearing more about Peppa.

Glad its not maggots!!!

Just echoing what HS said "welcome to the world of paranoid bunny mum's" i think i am one of the worse :lol:

Back from vet and Peppa has no creepy crawlies of anysort.
She has made the wound herself by looks of it(as she has other ones too) and i have intraderm to put on it!
Go back in 1 week or before if it gets worse.
My other bunny george has sore hocks,i noticed this morning.....so have to put the cream on him too!

Phew..now have to just get over her spey op with minimum worry!!! :lol:

Thanks for everyones replies!
leesa.

Back