• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E cuniculi - can bunny get more than once

Alice

Warren Scout
Came home tonight and my 8 year old bun didn't look his normal self. Usually he comes running up to me for his dinner when I go up the garden to feed him. Tonight he just sat there.

Have brought him in side and he seems quite stiff and wobbly on his back legs and lies looking a bit spaced out, not runing round much. He has eaten some veg and pooped and seems to be breathing normally etc, but does not seem his usual self.

He had e cuniculi last year and I'm wondering if he could have this again, is this possible for a bunny to be re-infected?

I'm going to pop him to the vets tomorrow if he still doesn't seem right and will keep him inside tonight.

Thanks

Hiya. Was your bun treated with Fenbendazole to get rid of the EC? What were his symtoms last time?? Did he fully recover or were they some residual symptoms, say a slight 'head-tilt'?? If you only have the one bun and he is never in contact with other buns it is unlikely he has been re-infected. The spores of the EC protozoan are excreted intermittently in an infected buns wee. I would get him checked over by the vet tomorrow. Jane and Buns xx

JCO said:
The spores of the EC protozoan are excreted intermittently in an infected buns wee. I would get him checked over by the vet tomorrow. Jane and Buns xx

You're such a fountain of knowledge Jane, I'm glad you found this place :lol: :thumb:

Thanks for your replies guys...

Just come downstairs this morning and he seems to have splay back legs and can only shuffle around slightly and not hold his head up very well so I think maybe it is not EC.....going to ring vets in a moment, but by the look of him today and the fact he is getting on a bit I'm not sure the outlook looks good :(, I'm trying to prepare myself for the worse........sob, sob

oh poor bunster and poor you i hope the vet can help you

could he have eaten somthing he shouldent have?

Good luck at the vets. Sending lots and lots of snuggles. Hope it turns out ok.

Sending positive vibes for your poor elderly Bun and big hugs for you. Let us know how things go. Jane and Buns xx

Thanks for your support everyone.....

Unfortunately I have just had the dreaded call from the vets and he has just passed away.

They thought he had damaged a disc in his spine but thought it would be treatable with anti inflamatorries etc... and managed to get some food down him....but then he passed away.

Am gutted, was such a lovely chap, and now I'm stuck at work trying hard not to get upset........ Poor Roo is going to be very lonely without him.

oh no... :cry: really sorry Alice

Stuck at work too - must be unbearable :(

At least he's free of any suffering now - and it wasn't a drawn out decline - little consolation I know. He had a loving 8 years with you, and will be with you always.

Take care

Martin+Pam

Oh I am so sorry to hear that your bun has passed away. Binky free over The Bridge bunster and hugs to you Alice. Jane and Buns xx

Alice, I'm so sorry to hear that. I was lucky and managed to take the afternoon off after Wicket left us. It must be horrible being at work.

Remember your 8 wonderful years even though it never feels like enough.

Blinkie free little one and special hugs to Roo.

Back