• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eye removal and Penis reconstruction

sgprescue

Mama Doe
Well I know you all like to see pictures so I thought I would show you something interesting :D. Had 2 guinea pigs in for major surgery.

Snoopy had to have one of his eyes removed yesterday because an abscess had developed underneath it
snoopy1.jpg

snoopy2.jpg

Then Casper had to have his penis reconstructed today. He arrived here a few weeks ago and was in a bad way. His original owner decided they didnt want him anymore and gave him to their elderly neighbour. She liked him but couldnt really manage his health problems. He had never had a bath, had a thick, matted, caked up coat and was covered in lice. He also had a swollen extended penis :shock: . I gave him a bath, sorted out his coat problems and cleaned up his penis. A few days later he went in to be neutered. About a week after his surgery he had started to chew at his penis and by this time it had become rather saggy and dry :shock: . I took him back to see Rob and he cleaned it up, pushed it back in and popped a couple of stiches in to hold it together. This was fine for about 3 weeks until a few days ago when it all suddenly fell out again :? . Yet again he had started to chew it and there was even more excess skin and he was dragging it all on the ground :shock: (this is wear the men start to cringe :lol: ). I took him back to see Rob last night and he said the only option was to reconstruct the area around his penis. This was very risky surgery as he had to be under anaesthetic for a long time and he is at least 5 years old so no spring chicken but there was no other choice as it was obviously bothering him. He had the surgery today and I am amazed to say he is recovering well and is even more active than before so he must feel better for it :D Here are some pics
Casper before the op (forgot to take one of his penis before)
casper.jpg

In his hospital cage
casper2.jpg

His war wound, there is a fair bit of swelling but you can just make out the ring of stitches around his penis
casper1.jpg

Cheryl

hi

oooh cringe cringe :shock: Very interesting tho - glad they are both doing well after such ordeals - poor little Casper especially :)

Aww poor wee piggies. I somehow think the willy-reconstruction will have been more painful than the removal of an eye. Hope they will soon be restored to wheeking-health. Jane and Buns (and Jimmy the Piggy who's eyes are watering at the thought of the willy op!! xx)

Ah, bless him that`s a major trauma for any little man to go through!
Sending him little piggy hugs and hoping he`s feeling much better soon.

Nice photos :shock: - but they certainly made my OH's eyes water and he winced a bit as well.

Hope the GP's are okay now :D - Frank will take a bit longer to recover from the shock .

lol Pam

Aww bless them. That sounds pretty painful, but they look like they've coped well with it.

:cry: I had to take Snoopy back to the vets this morning as he had developed bloody diahhreah. They just phoned to say he has passed away. The only thing we can think of is that he had an underlaying problem and the anaesthetic brought it out. I can't take it in at the moment, I have several rabbits and guinea pigs that are unwell and on medication at the moment, its just not my week :cry: :cry: :cry:

hi

Aww - sorry to hear that Cheryl - you do what you can, but small furries are fragile little things :(

Back