• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hagrids limping - vet call hip displasia

honey said:
sprained or broken? how long's he been doing it?

just noticed this afternoon, broken :shock: have no idea but what could he have broken it on, he hasnt even been outside today, vets tommorrow.

how would i know the differnce!? :shock:

Is he able to take any weight on it at all?? Are you able to check the range of movement in the limb..?? Could be a sprain..?? Is he and older bun?? If so could be arthritic changes. I'd keep him as rested as poss' overnight and if not able to weight-bare in the morning perhaps your vet should take a look at him. Poor wee lad, hope his leg gets better soon. Jane and Buns xx

does he use it at all? is it at a funny angle? i know when bailey broke his back leg he managed to run from the garden up the stairs and back down again but he carried the leg and it stuck out at about 90 degrees. vets definitely a good idea

JCO said:
Is he able to take any weight on it at all?? Are you able to check the range of movement in the limb..?? Could be a sprain..?? Is he and older bun?? If so could be arthritic changes. I'd keep him as rested as poss' overnight and if not able to weight-bare in the morning perhaps your vet should take a look at him. Poor wee lad, hope his leg gets better soon. Jane and Buns xx

oh god jane i am now worried sick, he doesnt apprear to be holding any weight on it? hes 8 months old? how do they sprain it.? definately vets in the morning.

what do the vets do with a sprain? how would i know if he had broken it although i dont see how he could have! :shock:

Have you been able to check his foot for a foreign body/broken or missing nail?? If he appears to be in a lot of pain do you have any soluble Aspirin/Disprin..?? As a one off First Aid treatment you could give him 100mg/Kg body weight. TRY not to worry too much (easier said than done I know). Probably a good idea to make sure he cant be too active overnight, even if it means he has to be in a pet carrier or something similar. Keep us posted. Honestly, he'll never get signed up to play for England at this rate!! Jane and Buns xx

JCO said:
Have you been able to check his foot for a foreign body/broken or missing nail?? If he appears to be in a lot of pain do you have any soluble Aspirin/Disprin..?? As a one off First Aid treatment you could give him 100mg/Kg body weight. TRY not to worry too much (easier said than done I know). Probably a good idea to make sure he cant be too active overnight, even if it means he has to be in a pet carrier or something similar. Keep us posted. Honestly, he'll never get signed up to play for England at this rate!! Jane and Buns xx

he wont let me touch it, i cant put him in a carrier hes a giant he wont be able to move at all :D :D i have looked them in the kitchen, he isnt gonna go mad in there anyway its not that big!

how would ou know he was in pain/ hes still eating his hay?

would he normally let you touch it? if he would then there's something up. temporary pain relief a good idea, that's all an emergency vet would do until your usual vet is open so he'll probably be happier at home where he's familiar. hope he'll be ok

as long as he is eating then he'll cope overnight. If the pain was too bad he'd be really mis' and probably would not eat at all.He'd just look thoroughly depressed. Let us know how he is in the morning,These buns can cause us two-foots to age prematurely with all the worry!! Jane and Buns xx

JCO said:
as long as he is eating then he'll cope overnight. If the pain was too bad he'd be really mis' and probably would not eat at all.He'd just look thoroughly depressed. Let us know how he is in the morning,These buns can cause us two-foots to age prematurely with all the worry!! Jane and Buns xx

i will let u know, aged i have aged about 10 years in the last week! over buns

Hi,

I had this once with Billy he had landed badly on his foot and limped around. I confined him until the next morning to give him the same thing as bed rest :lol: :lol:

He was a lot better the next morning and back to normal the day after. But I did take out insurance on him after that :lol: :lol:

I would see how he is in the morning and if there is no improvement at all it's off to the vets :( :(

Eve it has got to get better, we all have these times when everthing seems to come at once.

Chin up

All the best

Maureen

MoBunny said:
Hi,

I had this once with Billy he had landed badly on his foot and limped around. I confined him until the next morning to give him the same thing as bed rest :lol: :lol:

He was a lot better the next morning and back to normal the day after. But I did take out insurance on him after that :lol: :lol:

I would see how he is in the morning and if there is no improvement at all it's off to the vets :( :(

Eve it has got to get better, we all have these times when everthing seems to come at once.

Chin up

All the best

Maureen

thanks maureen

whats insurance with 20+ rabbits? :shock:

hope all goes well tomorrow with Hagrid, hopefully it is not anything too serious :) try not to worry :)

Eve,

He is the only one of my 6 that is insured as he is my baby and the youngest. The others all have medical problems and they would not cover them any way.

My medical bills so far this month are 270.00 and rising!!!

It's only money :shock: :shock:

Maureen

ps No money left for a social life :lol: :lol:

Eve - try not to worry, lets hope its something none serious. I remember this happening to Fern, she couldn't put any weight on one of her front legs and she wouldn't let me touch it - which she would have done normally. I called the emergency vet but because it was late they said to wait until the next day. It was really swollen, and it turned out that she'd bruised the joint and got an infection in it, she had antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs and binkying again a week later.

I hope Hagrid is OK, nose rubs to him and hugs to you.

MoBunny said:
Eve,

He is the only one of my 6 that is insured as he is my baby and the youngest. The others all have medical problems and they would not cover them any way.

My medical bills so far this month are 270.00 and rising!!!

It's only money :shock: :shock:

Maureen

ps No money left for a social life :lol: :lol:

cor your lucky mine has been £350 for three days and i no longer have her! :shock:

Right there Hagrid bun.... :shock: you make sure that sore leg is just a strained muscle or something else relatively minor. You see your poor Mum has had a really bad time lately :cry: :cry: and she is now very worried about you too. :cry: So come on big bunster get that leg all mended!! Keep us posted Eve. Jane and Buns xx :rabbit2:

JCO said:
Right there Hagrid bun.... :shock: you make sure that sore leg is just a strained muscle or something else relatively minor. You see your poor Mum has had a really bad time lately :cry: :cry: and she is now very worried about you too. :cry: So come on big bunster get that leg all mended!! Keep us posted Eve. Jane and Buns xx :rabbit2:[/quote

ar jane and you forgot very skint!!!

Back