• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit temper & castration

Ray

Young Bun
Hello everyone!
I got my first rabbit in July, he was a lovely,friendly little thing when I first got him I spent lots of time bonding with him & handling him. His hutch is indoors (playroom) & he really was part of the family - my kids loved him. However about a month ago he started to get a bit aggressive - he has the run of the garden (& I actually think that he thinks he owns it!) whenever we go out he charges at our legs - head butting, circling & biting! I decided to get him castrated (had him done Friday), in the hope he will calm down - have any of you experienced this sort of behaviour? Do you think the castration will work in stopping his aggression? How long before his behaviour will change?
I hope he calms down soon its a nightmare just to go out & hang the washing out!!
Advice very much appreciated
Ray x x :)

Hi Ray!

The best thing to do is to get him neutured as soon as possible, if you have had him since a baby he is maturing now. Neuturing will calm him down a great deal, but can take 6 or so weeks for his hormones to die down.

Welcome to the group!

anna said:
Hi Ray!

The best thing to do is to get him neutured as soon as possible, if you have had him since a baby he is maturing now. Neuturing will calm him down a great deal, but can take 6 or so weeks for his hormones to die down.

Welcome to the group!

anna you must really learn to out your goggles! :lol: :lol: :lol:
yes ray rabbits can be a bit aggresive and territorial if not castrated but are fine after castration once the hormones have had time to settle they!

Eve x

:wave: hi Ray and welcome to the forum, things will take a few weeks to settle down after the operation, have a little patience with him as he will be back to being an adorable bunny again, in the meantime i suggest you use a tumble dryer :lol:

Back