• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding two boys?

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
I just wondered how easy it is to bond one boy (not neatured) and one that is??

I am writing on behalf of my friend who has got a gorgeous Lop Benny, and a neatured boy Sunny - she wants to bond them but i thought they would fight but i know some people on here have got bonded boys?!.

Thanks!

Bonnie x

hi

a rescue near me had a pair of boys like that - it depends entirely on the bunnies personalities I think - these rabbits hated other rabbits, but for no apparent reason were best buddies from when they first met at the rescue - you have to try it carefully, and see - hopefully no injuries :?

I had my first rabbit - Smirnoff - for 6 months on his own. He's a lionhead, & wasn't very people friendly. I had him neutered & got Joey, an English, from a pet shop a month later. Smirnoff wasn't happy, & I got bit a few times, when I brought Joey home.
They lived in separate hutches, & twice a week I used to put them in the same room, that neither of them used at any other time. It took about 2 months, until Smirnoff stopped nipping/humping Joey, & they started living together full time. They are now the closest of my bunnies, though Joey is now neutered (& way bigger than Smirnoff)

Just take your time. If they start to fight, spray water at them & separate them till they have calmed down.
Smirnoff took a few weeks to come round, but Joey was the hardest to introduce. He was been fine with all the others I have put him with, (except one - but that's more her fault!) & he is a lot friendlier with me too now. They both live loose in the house, & chase each other up & down the stairs!

I'd recommend neutering the unneutered one first - it's very rare for unneutered males not to fight. If they do have a fight it's less likely they'll get on after neutering.

Be careful too - rabbbits can hurt each other fighting. If they do fight they'll really go at it - so have something other than bare hands ready to seperate them. If they fight then don't leave them to sort it out between them - they won't - seperate them.

Tam

...OMG I agree with Tam. Two bucks one un-neutered... :shock: they tend to go for each others balls!! :shock: :shock: Have seen some really HORRIBLE injuries..... Jane and Buns xx

i,ve got two males , both from the same litter . They got on great and were neutered a month ago ... then they started to fight a few weeks after being neutered :roll: , i,ve now seperated them and they have supervised times together . They don,t fight all the time but I couldn,t trust them alone and I don,t know if I ever will . Being brothers I thought they would be ok after neutering , how wrong could I be ? :shock: , Funny thing is , when they are fighting there is fur flying everywhere but they always make up and go onto groom each other :? :roll: , they also don,t appear to be really trying to kill each other when they do bicker but thats a chance I,m not willing to take . They can see each other through the room divide and often still lie together (with the bars in between) , they do like and love each other and who knows maybe ..just maybe one day I will trust them but this is how it has to be at the moment and both seem happy , are safe but can still see each other and still have company whilst being kept apart . :D

It's weird - I have never had a problem with my two boys. I have another male kept separate, he is due to be neutered soon & then I will introduce him to my other rabbits. All my young females have got on fine too. The only one I have problems with is my 2 year old, spayed, rex. She will lay against the bars of her hutch with the other rabbits, but put them together & she attacks them - male or female. She used to bite me too, but has been a lot better the last few months. She came from a rescue centre, so I don't really know much about her past.

Back