• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alfie - So snotty!

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Alfie (my dwarf 5 month old lop) has god pasturella.

He has not been on antibiotics for a whole month and there is no change.

He has constantly got snot in his nose particularly the right one!!! i wipe it loads for him.

I got some oibus (SP?) oil and put it on his hutch - not change.
Steaming water with the oil in - no change
Antibiotics - no change

WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?? i feel so sorry for him i feel like am banging my head against the wall.

He is very active and clearly a happy boy but despite this he could be covering up when he may be feeling very poorly.

I know i have asked advice on this before but any other ideas??

Am i doign somrthing wrong??!! :cry:

Bonnie x

Aww bless him. I don't have any more suggestions I'm afraid, but I'm sure you're not doing anything wrong. He sounds like a happy boy. I'm sure as well that if he were in pain, you'd notice. There would be teeth grinding, and he'd be hiding away.
Hope someone can give you some more tips on dealing with snuffly bunnies - there are quite a few of them around!

Thanks Helen,

There is no teeth grinding, i look out for signs of ill health like that.

Im just worried as i know rabbits hide there symptons, am worried too that he may suddenly really deteriorate as rabbits do!

all the snot is making me worry also that he might not be able to breath!!! its mostly only in one nostral thankfully so he does have the other one!

Thanks

Bonnie x

do you know what antibiotics you tried?

the bunny i had to leave with my ex in brighton suffered from it on and off.

there were several different types of antibiotics we tried but the best stuff was directly applied to her nose. the trouble with the antibiotics is that it can sometimes upset their natural bacteria in their gut.

it sounds like you are trying everything you can. from my understanding though it is something that cant be "cured" once they have it its something that will stay with them.

do you know what the cause was initially or was it something that was always there?

Hi Desdi,

He has been on Baytril and now he is on something beginning with M (can never remember the name!)

I agree that this is something that can never be cured but i don't want him living with a snotty nose, he sneezing alot too :(

Do you know what stuff you had that was applied directly to your bun's nose?? maybe i could suggest this to mny vet on Saturday.

I've only had Alfie since mid-July, it started of a fee sneezes here and there and got progressively worse so i guess he got this from his mother or something?!

Its very frustrating because i just want him to be healthy!

I know what you mean, its tough because they look happy enough in themselves its just the sneezes and nose gew thats not good.

My Ex is away at the moment but I'll pick his brains when he gets back. I do remember giving her Baytril though and it would work for maybe a day or so and sometimes would go away on its own.

Where did Alfie come from? I got Scribble from a pet store and i'm sure it was due to lack of free flowing air that caused it.

I remember we almost lost Scribble because when the symptoms first showed themselves the vet said it was a cold! I did some research and took her back - when they took her temp it was so high it was touch and go if she were to make it through the night!

Needless to say we changed vets!

If anything springs to mind I'll be in touch.

J.

Bonnie - you are doing nothing wrong, it just sounds like poor Alfie has had this quite bad and has been very difficult to get under control.

Lorna at Greenfields rescue has been treating one of her rabbits with Echinasea (from a teabag), Baytril and another antibiotic which I cannot remember what it was called. You could always email her and ask her the name of what she has used.

Has your bun been swabbed to see what antibiotics this infection is sensative to?

Janice

Thanks very much!!

My boyfriend got Alfie from a pet shop who breed rabbits, they were very good to their rabbits and handeled Alfie from a very early age so was very tame its just his berludy snuffles!

Id be interested to know whether his brother & sister's got it too!

Desdi is your bun neatuered??

Thanks

Bonnie x

Hi Janice,

I remember you mentioning Lorna before i'll look up the website and email her.

I am going back to the vets on Saturday and i am going to ask the vet then about taking a swab as the antibiotics have done nothing!

Thanks very much xx

hi

vets always use baytril first, whatever the problem is - unless your vet has taken a swab of the snot and sent it to a lab for analysis, he can't be sure which organism is causing the problem - different antibiotics target different organisms, so there may be a better antibiotic to try.

is the the thing beginning with m an antibiotic? Marbocyl? I've heard that recommended - but if all else fails then penicillin can be given by injection - it's very dangerous to bunnies by mouth.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

this thread might be useful too
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=7960&highlight=penicillin+snuffles

Hi elve,

He was on baytril to begind with for a week at a time and now Marbocyl.

I think i will ask about a swab.

Do you know if penecillin injection is effective??

I reckon little Alfie will just have to put up with a snotty nose and i'll have to keep fingers crossed that it doesn't get any worse!

Thanks all..

Janice ive just emailed Lorna at Greenfields - thanks for that...

x

Scribble didnt end up getting neutered because we were so worried about her snuffles effecting her breathing we didnt want to chance the op. She was an only bun and we never had any behaviour problems.

The swab is a really good suggestion. Speak to your vet and ask them to do it.

But like everyone says, you are doing everything right, hang in there.

Best wishes.

Thanks desdi -

I did want to get Alfie neatured as i am desperate to get him a mate, even though he spends the morning and evenings inside/outside the house with me i am at work all day and don't like the through of him being alone (i would have to get another snuffle bun and have one in mind).

will get a swab done i think

Bonnie x

bonnie

i know what you mean, i was always worried that scribble was lonely without a partner.

bump lost her little man about 3 weeks ago. her behaviour is becoming a little odd and i'm wondering if she is ready to meet anyone new. i've arranged to meet up with Kaz who has some males so i'm hoping to get over there soon.

although i miss the bond you have if you have a single rabbit i think they are happier when they are bonded with another furry.

Hi Desdi,

It is diffecult! i have sone a search on pasturella and it is so common am very surprised actually.

I spoke to my vet and we are doing a swab on Saturday so will see what that uncovers. I also want to see if we are able to neature Alfie yet without making his snuffles worse!!

I hope you find a new bunny man soon!

Bonnie x

bonnie good luck to you both with the tests - please share any news!

you'd be surprised how many common things are out there that you hardly hear of until you come into direct contact with it!

i remember being a kid and having rabbits - back then nobody thought of jabs and now they are standard.

thanks for your best wishes. i hope bump finds someone she likes too. there's no replacing wicket but we want to make sure we can make bumps life the best we can.

j.

U may still be able to get your rabbit done , it just means you have to wait untill hes going through a better time of it as his nose has to be clear.Changing antibiotics it worth trying. Dont forget if you get a partner that youl need a girl with pasturella too. val

Back