• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

grooming

touie

Wise Old Thumper
How do you go about grooming big fluffy bunnies that don't want to be brushed by yourself!!! ? :?

So far I'd only been doing Toffee and caramels backs as they'd been shaved underneath but today i THOUGHT i'D GIVE THEM A PROPER GOING OVER SO THAT THEY START TO GET USED TO IT! :shock: They're getting a few knots round their sides and under the chin. The only problem is they growl and bite, not hard luckily but it's still rather offputting, and at one time I had Caramel biting my arm as she was on my lap, and Toffee biting my jeans! :shock:

These 2 have quite wooly fur as well and are going to need to be done daily!

Umm, start of by stroking them - then use a soft brush, then move onto a wide tooth comb... so they get used to being touched/stroked without the bad association of having their hair pulled. Rabbits are most ticklish around their sides so starting with stroking along the back might help too.

Food - wait til they have their noses in a food bowl and try then :lol:

You could also trim the rest of them with sissors - it's much easier to brush them when the coat is only an inch long.

Tam

thanks. They're quite friendly and will let you stroke them but as soon as the comb appears they turn into monsters! :shock: and the vet said they were really well behaved too! My arm looks like its covered in insect bites! :shock: :? I might wait till I put their bowl of veggies down they're certainly greedy girls! No idea how I'm going to get to the bit under the chin though! :?

hi

Can you do that trancing thing to comb under their chins? Hold them against your body, upright with their head next to yours, then tip forwards and tip them backwards? Never tried it as I'm a total wuss with my bunnies - wear a thick fleece or coat too - I never pick my piggies up without putting long sleeves and high necked top on - so many sratches the first week I had them! - make sure you put dettol cream on bites and scratches too as it could turn septic :?

I had a think jumper on luckily so I'm just left with lots of little red marks, thank god they don't bite like fudge else I'd be down casualty! :shock: :lol:

I don't know how to do the trance thing :?

Try a grooming mit first. Star likes to be held best on her back like a baby with her head in the dark under my arm.

Well I managed to do their backs and sides whilst they were having their dinner without any trouble at all! :shock: :D

Back