• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buying a new hutch

greybunny

Young Bun
I know that this topic has been covered loads of times but I've been searching through the forum and I can't find the threads - sorry!

I'm buying a new hutch for my bunnies for Christmas. I've been to Pets at Home and I'm trying to decide between a single storey hutch that's 5ft x 2ft x 2ft or a two storey one that's 4ft wide and 18 inches deep. The bunnies are medium sized and I'm hoping to have a large permanent run attached to whichever hutch we end up getting.

Please could anyone advise me which of the two would be better? The 2 storey one has slightly more floor space and obviously has the variation in levels so that would be my initial preference, but I've heard that a hutch should be at least 2ft deep and 5ft wide so would the single storey one be more suitable?

greybunny said:
I know that this topic has been covered loads of times but I've been searching through the forum and I can't find the threads - sorry!

I'm buying a new hutch for my bunnies for Christmas. I've been to Pets at Home and I'm trying to decide between a single storey hutch that's 5ft x 2ft x 2ft or a two storey one that's 4ft wide and 18 inches deep. The bunnies are medium sized and I'm hoping to have a large permanent run attached to whichever hutch we end up getting.

Please could anyone advise me which of the two would be better? The 2 storey one has slightly more floor space and obviously has the variation in levels so that would be my initial preference, but I've heard that a hutch should be at least 2ft deep and 5ft wide so would the single storey one be more suitable?

If you are going to have a run permanently attached then the 5ft one should be fine, as you won't need the two levels because the buns will go out instead.

hi

I agree - plus if they are medium sized bunnies they may have trouble with the ladder - and no room to stretch out either since the ladder takes up most of the floor space...and 18" will be too close to the weather for comfort as well..

but they need a permanent run attached to the 2x5 straight away - it's far too small for 2 bunnies...If you can get a small playhouse from Focus, or a shed (but a playhouse looks cuter and can be painted nice colours) that would give you more floorspace and more protection from the weather - but you would need to put wire mesh inner door in, or swap the window glass for cage mesh if it was a non-opening window :)

greybunny said:

for the prices p@h charge why dont you try ebay you maybe able to get the run and hutch for less than that!

I've had a look on ebay but all the hutches seem to be smaller and the runs aren't very big - if you can correct me on this I'd be more than happy!

greybunny said:
I've had a look on ebay but all the hutches seem to be smaller and the runs aren't very big - if you can correct me on this I'd be more than happy!

you just need to study it for a while as now the winter is here there is not so much choice but p@h are rather dear and not that good quality, i know cause i have some, cuase my were rush jobs!

If you've got the space, I'd definitely suggest a shed/playhouse. You can get a reasonable shed for under £100! - and it can be attached to a run via a cat flap which can be locked if necessary. Playhouses are better if you have less space/want less visual impact as they are usually around 4 ft square and not as tall, say about 4ft tall?

Apart from cost, overall these are also better than hutches as you can actually get in them with your bunnies, meaning that you can interact and clean out in the dry and wind-free zone during the winter! (and summer :lol: )

Could you get anybody to build you one? I've had a 'winter hutch' built for my bunnies, two stories with a run attached and is warm and secure for them. If you have it made you can have special touches for you, i.e good size for your bunnies or have a shelf for them if they like to jump up, bolts on doors to be safer etc.

P.s heres a good site showing good hutches you can buy :D

bunny_burrows said:
Could you get anybody to build you one? I've had a 'winter hutch' built for my bunnies, two stories with a run attached and is warm and secure for them. If you have it made you can have special touches for you, i.e good size for your bunnies or have a shelf for them if they like to jump up, bolts on doors to be safer etc.

P.s heres a good site showing good hutches you can buy :D
http://continue.to/rossrabbits

I have a shed, and with a half door I can easily step over without the rabbits darting past me! :lol:

Pic_0006.jpg

For inside pictures you can check out the gallery section as I just took these pictures today and uploaded and posted them about half an hour ago. :wink:

The main problem I've had with "ground floor" hutches, i.e. those only on little legs, is that they seem to attract slugs and snails - for years I often had to pick them out of the hutches and even out of the food bowl! They don't seem to find the upstairs part of a hutch (or the inside of a shed) so easily so I am less keen on single storey hutches for that reason. Also slightly higher hutches are easier to get to and pick bunnies up out of without as much bending and lifting.

I brought a 2 storey hutch from P@H, it isn't bad, but Sparky never goes downstairs! Jezebel does, but I find myself chasing her about when I try and get her out!!

This is my set up for Bracken & Beebie, they lived in a 5 x 2 hutch with a 5 x 4 run attached.

They moved into the shed in September, I now have the run attached to the side of the shed so giving them loads off space to run about.

They love their shed, theres a small hutch inside which they use to wee in!!! and i keep the hay, straw on top of it.

I`m so glad that they have this shed they love it.

beebie.jpg

01c44a23.jpg

I would recommend a shed arrangement, you can pick up sheds for £100 in DIY stores and it does work out cheaper than a hutch.

Back