• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to put weight on my piggies! (GUINEA PIGS)

Lind80

Mama Doe
All my guinea pigs always look a lot thinner than everyone elses. They have plenty of hay at all times, they have science selective guinea pig, melon,carrots,kale,celery,tomatoes,cucumber,parsley and apple every day and they always eat it all. But they still look smaller than other peoples. Any ideas what I could give them to give them a bit of extra covering especially for the winter!

Do they happen to be abysinnian guinea pigs? as these are generally smaller and less stocky than other varieties anyway. If not a small amount of oats each day may help.

My guineas vary enormously in size despite all getting the same diet. Most of mine are fairly trim as they get loads of exercise, but one or two are extremely rotund. So to some extent it depends on the individual.
My Abyssinians are among the rounder of my pigs though :?
I could do with a way of getting extra weight on a couple of them too.

no, dont add oats, they expand in their stomachs and can cause problems, this is what we were told by a rodentologist. My guineas are saller than most people aswell, it may just be that you give them more room than most people which means they're very healthy :wink:

Katie said:
no, dont add oats, they expand in their stomachs and can cause problems, this is what we were told by a rodentologist. My guineas are saller than most people aswell, it may just be that you give them more room than most people which means they're very healthy :wink:

Ok thanks.I'll just keep my ickle piggies ickle :D They seem happy enough. Does any one worm their pigs, cause that was my other thought, that maybe they could have worms, although their faeces are normal.

My piggies are all different sizes. As long as their weight doesn't change then i am happy, they are happy.

Woody, my ginger crested female, is a porky piggy. Buts its just the way shes built. She exercises loads. She has to be able to run fast from Ivory. Oh, and Woody loves playing with one of those balls with another bell ball inside it. My vet says his crested is the same.

Ever tried Corn on the cob? It does put weight on fast so once a month is enough. I usually chop the ends off the ones i eat (bout 1inch chunk) and they love it.

Gracie and animals x

Piggies like rabbits rarely need worming, if you think they look a bit thin then increase there dried food are they eating it all?. I think all piggies should look well rounded. [ not fat]. Ive never yoused a complete mix for pigs so carnt say how good it is. val

Back